• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do I prevent carbon ring under nipple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Additionally, to scrub out below nipple can only be done if I take the barrel off of gun due to a very short hammer throw on this custom 45cal rifle.

If you can ‘easily’ remove the nipple a flushing nipple with hose or surgical tubing attached will allow you flush a lot of whatever you use to clean with through the barrel and breech area without any leakage with most guns. Don’t know if it would be enough to remove the carbon ring.
1660080047924.jpeg
1660080071216.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks SDSmlf, I should have said that I need something to do to prevent the carbon ring from developing so that I can keep shooting at the range. I can't do pics but the carbon ring is at the bottom of the nipple treads inside the lock.
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

Could the nipple thread journal be the wrong length, too long?

Thanks SDSmlf, I should have said that I need something to do to prevent the carbon ring from developing so that I can keep shooting at the range. I can't do pics but the carbon ring is at the bottom of the nipple treads inside the lock.
Thanks for all of the replies so far.
Unfortunate you cannot do pics, as that leaves us guessing as to what exactly you are experiencing and seeing. Only thing I can offer is I recently did some load testing in a 1-30 twist 45 caliber gun with paperpatched bullets, a bit over 400 grains. Barrel was a GM LRH. A total of 25 shots in 5 shot strings. Popped a cap and did a damp and dry patch wipe before each shot. Did a more complete bore cleaning between each string. No issues, with all five groups well under 2” at 100 yards. No misfires. At the end of the session I cleaned the gun and found a typical buildup of stuff under the nipple with a hole through it. A borescope revealed a bit of a carbon buildup in the bore about at top of the powder charge and base of the bullet, which was easily addressed. As far as the load, was working with 3F Swiss from 80 to 100 grains.

Unfortunately, I would need some photographs or additional information before offering a specific suggestion that I think could help. Don’t know about what other forum members may think or be able to guess at. Wish you luck.

The carbon ring under the nipple is like a thin wafer with a tiny hole in the middle.
I do not fire a cap after firing a shot, would this prevent this condition from occuring?

Sounds to me like you are worrying about a normal event. There is always (in my experience) a ring of residue at the face of the nipple, and it shouldn't affect anything. It's probably due to a tiny back-eddy around the spark that allows fouling to collect there. I'd look for some other cause for the diminishing accuracy. Firing another (hard to get) cap after each shot will achieve nothing IMHO. When you do your cleaning, always pull the nipple after first pumping some water back and forthe. Let the breech end sof the barrel soak for a few minutes (while you clean up the lock and stock) That should soften or dissolve any caked-on fouling in the breech or flash channel. The pump a lot of soapy water back and forth through the channel and barrel After that, there should be no fouling anywhere. Good luck!

If this carbon build-up does not affect ignition you have nothing to worry about. It certainly has nothing to do with accuracy. As one poster above mentioned, if it is hampering ignition, this is usually due to the threaded nipple shaft protruding to near the bottom of the flash hole. This allows build up to block the flash hole.

UndeadPoet, now I had a serious question wanting a serious answer, but YOU had to come along and tickle my sarcastic(but fun loving) funny bone, sooooo, maybe I should,
blowup the barrel and hope for the best!, what do you think??
No, I think you are getting some good suggestions from the others. 😀 No need to go blowing it up…

Back