• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How Do I Get Rid of Old Percussion Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you soaked them in water you could have whacked them with a hammer. I got a tin of caps at a garage sale one time, the caps inside were terrible, corroded and green. All I wanted was the tin anyhow, so whacked the caps with a hammer, a couple went off but most didn’t.

I have a bunch of caps that are really, really old and I want to get rid of them. What's the best way to do this: dig a deep hole, throw them in and cover them up?; soak them in water for a few days then throw them in the trash; or ?????

Any help appreciated,

joliver
I found some #11s from Dixie that are 45 yrs old - I bought them with a CVA pistol kit in 1976 - and stumbled on to them during a recent deep clean operation in my gear hovel. They still work fine! Shoot them up.

Back when I first started shooting cap locks there were no new caps, except Eley shot shell reloading ones and we called then ‘hot caps’ as they were a bit violent, but good at sending off misfires.
The only normal caps available were Eley ones that were probably 50 years old or older and they worked fine with the occasional misfire, probably more due to fouling than the caps.
Wish I had those Eley tins now. :) :)

9B478CC9-D679-4D79-B082-4CC44AD8BE3F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back