• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how did the long hunters clean there guns,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think they took pretty good care of their weapons, seeing as how your life would depend on them. Figure they pretty much done as we do, jag, tow, water and some kind of grease perhaps bear oil or what ever was handy. Spence is good at these sort of questions perhaps he will chime in.

You’d need water, tow, tow worm, and ramrod. Plug the vent. Start sloshing wet tow down there. If you’ve plenty of water, fill the bore then pour it out for a good rinse. Keep cleaning by changing or rinsing wet tow until it comes out clean. Remove vent plug. Run some dry tow down the bore till it’s dry. Run some greased tow down there. Barrel done. Take the lock off. Wipe the barrel with wet then dry tow around the touchhole. Now wipe the pan, frizzen, pan bolster area, jaws of the cock and whatever you can reach around the frizzen pivot with wet then dry tow. Set aside to dry. Add a touch of grease to the frizzen spring/frizzen pivot area. See if the mainspring hook/tumbler nose needs greasing. Reassemble your lock back into the mortise. Good to go.

Cold water in sub freezing temps!! Na. Boiled water from the camp fire.
If they bothered at all. Bear grease will work fine on it's own for months.
They didn't plink much!

I don't think they cleaned their guns nearly as often as they should have.
Failing to clean their guns could explain why so many of the original guns were "freshened" or re-rifled. Even on the Louis & Clark expedition, several of thier guns needed this to be done.

I've also noted, on almost all of the original percussion guns I've examined, there is evidence of some severe rusting/corrosion around the area of the nipple.
This was caused by the corrosive nature of the priming powder in the old percussion caps but, if they had taken the time to actually clean their guns and wash away the cap residue, the corrosion I've seen wouldn't have been there.

My guess is that the lubricated patch of the reloaded round did most of the cleaning.

Longhunters shot game for money. Well, for the hides for money. We shot deer today and odds are we are shooting deer tomorrow. How clean would you get your gun?

My answer is clean enough.

One of the practices that may have been common back in the day was reloading a fired rifle and not cleaning it till much later.
I recently freshed the rifling on a contemporary gun that had been to several wet rondy encampments. It was shot daily in foul weather and despite efforts to clean, it never got dry, apparently. It doesn’t surprise me that the Lewis and Clark expedition rifles needed freshening of the rifling. I don’t think we experience conditions they did routinely. The barrel I recut the rifling on had deep rust muzzle to breech. I think it would have shredded Kevlar patches.

Reading accounts from original manuscripts , the only mention of doing anything to a gun in the field is to "clear" it at the end of the day. A white captive of a raiding party was asked by a party of militia that was trailing the raiders, "what was all the firing after dark at the Indian camp. ?" The captive confirmed the raiders were "clearing" their guns , so if they were ambushed the next day , their guns would fire. Does "clear" mean "clean?"
Another original account comes from a fort in Ky. where an eminent Indian attack caused the defenders to "clean their guns and put them in good order." There's always a lack of information in the testimonies as to exactly what the words "clear and or clean " involves. Only thing I can figure , the meanings of these words were such common 18th century vernacular, they were considered unnecessary to explain.....Frustrating for those wanting to know what was happening.....................oldwood

One of the practices that may have been common back in the day was reloading a fired rifle and not cleaning it till much later.
I recently freshed the rifling on a contemporary gun that had been to several wet rondy encampments. It was shot daily in foul weather and despite efforts to clean, it never got dry, apparently. It doesn’t surprise me that the Lewis and Clark expedition rifles needed freshening of the rifling. I don’t think we experience conditions they did routinely. The barrel I recut the rifling on had deep rust muzzle to breech. I think it would have shredded Kevlar patches.
Exactly how do you refresh the rifling? Special tool? Thanks

So, how did they clean their rifles?

I would say very little water was used. A good swabbing with jag and tow, maybe even prairie grass and wiping down with what grease or rendered fat was available with wool or linsey. Those old rifles were subjected enough to moisture without sloshing them with it.
When the old timers cleaned the tools of the trade they took their time and carefully inspected the rifle along the way. Sand paper or some kind of fine abrasive was part of the cleaning gear.
Swab clean with organic lubricant, disassemble lock maybe once a year, wipe clean, abrasive some if needed and grease. The mountain people weren't as dependent on the rifle as much as their traps, bow and arrows. Sure, at times a skirmish would take place, but unless one was a hunter for a company, or market the rifle wasn't shot all that much.
This was passed down to me from generations of hunters and trappers. There is a distinct difference of opinion between flat landers and mountain people because of environment and experience gained.

The book Fox Fire Five by Eliot Wigginton covers all that stuff from an original perspective. As in , how the old timers in the Southern mtn,s. made rifling devices from scratch , etc..The info is told as gleaned from the original folks who had to fix their own rifles well after cartridge guns were used most every where else. These folks have kept m/l science alive long after it died out in the rest of America. We owe them a thank you..............oldwood

Back