• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Corrosive Is Black Powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta wonder about storing anything above a fireplace; The extreme heat rising up would damage almost anything hanging there. I've always thought that the traditional illustrations of a rifle hanging above the hearth was an invention of the modern illustrators. (Christmas cards, Norman Rockwell, etc.)Also, the movie industry's set decorators.
Quite possible.
Mine go next to the hearth for the same reason. Hollywood or otherwise.

The agent that makes the residues of black powder and Pyrodex so corrosive is sulfur. Triple Seven and the APP manufactured powders also contain potassium nitrate; their residues are not seriously corrosive.

I'm a 'Black Powder residue is super corrosive' guy but I will throw this small anecdote out there. I bought at auction, last year, a set of Colt 'C' Navy's that had been loaded with full charges since something like the '80's when the gent who owned them died. His wife remembered that he kept them loaded throughout the house. It took a drill (and leather bib and welder's shield) to get the hardened powder out but once out, outside of stripping the bluing out of the cylinders, there wasn't a lick of pitting or other signs of corrosion.

Don’t you have to keep them in a safe?
Yep, when not in use. I might be using it again soon or I might be waiting to clean it before it is put away. It's still in use. Never seen "not in use" defined yet!
The law requires its secure from unauthorised use measures be in place. They are.

Yep, when not in use. I might be using it again soon or I might be waiting to clean it before it is put away. It's still in use. Never seen "not in use" defined yet!
The law requires its secure from unauthorised use measures be in place. They are.

Obviously it's drying so it can be put away ;)

Steel in any humid environment will absolutely rust with or without black powder. It pretty much has to be particularly humid for unburned black powder to absorb any significant amount of moisture. And guns should never be stored in humid locations without frequent care. Fouling will suck moisture out of the air like a sponge unless you live in an arid climate. In arid conditions you can get away with being lazy about cleaning your pets but don't push your luck otherwise.
I'll just leave the "science" stuff to the tech guys, and clean my guns after use! :)

I gotta wonder about storing anything above a fireplace; The extreme heat rising up would damage almost anything hanging there. I've always thought that the traditional illustrations of a rifle hanging above the hearth was an invention of the modern illustrators. (Christmas cards, Norman Rockwell, etc.)Also, the movie industry's set decorators.

My Charleville has been hanging over my mantle and wood stove insert for more than forty years — no damage whatever.

The wood mantle below the musket and above the wood stove would have dried out and cracked long before the musket would.

I usually have a kettle of water boiling on the top of the stove to add moisture to the air. I don't doubt that helps.

My Charleville has been hanging over my mantle and wood stove insert for more than forty years — no damage whatever.

The wood mantle below the musket and above the wood stove would have dried out and cracked long before the musket would.

I usually have a kettle of water boiling on the top of the stove to add moisture to the air. I don't doubt that helps.
OK. You're an actual real world experience!

This shotgun was still loaded when I bought it at an antique show. It was loaded for over 100 years and wadded with this old newspaper.

The powder was still dry and loose

P1010001.JPG
P1010008.JPG

I also have an over the mantle rifle, or one in my current possession owned by someone else anyway. It is an old CVA Mountain Rifle that has hung on a mantle since the 70's.
I'd say the stock to metal fit isn't the greatest, and perhaps the wood has shrank some, but it was a kit put together by a first time builder so hard to say.
When it was first brought to me you could almost shake the wedge pins out of it.

This is the muzzle of the Renegade that was given to me I mentioned in my introductory post.

It had not been cleaned in over 20 years but was in the relatively dry climate of Central Oregon.

Attachments

• IMG_06151.jpg
    IMG_06151.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 99
This shotgun was still loaded when I bought it at an antique show. It was loaded for over 100 years and wadded with this old newspaper.

The powder was still dry and loose

View attachment 49869View attachment 49870
People who deal in old guns say it's common to find loaded muzzleloaders. I once had a flint military musket that had a load in it. It's not uncommon. Cool that yours is actually 'dated'!

Now she needs a clean!
Shot on friday. Rested saturday and shot again sunday.
Now she is grubby.
20201115_163842.jpg

So this is how I plug the vent.
20201115_172608.jpg

The frizzen clamps down on the tissue and prick.
A good rodding with wet patch and then boiled water in and out a few times. More rodding with a patch. More hot water in and out a few times. Dry with patches on the rod.
Clean outside with damp patches.
Once dry. Beeswax and olive oil inside and out.
See you again Bess in a couple of months in perfect condition👍

Last Wednesday, I shot with someone who told me his caplock rifle had been loaded with black powder for over two years. I watched him fire the rifle without any problems. He told me he used Bore Butter for patch lube.

Today, the same person told me he cleaned the rifle after he got home and the bore was shiny. He did not see any corrosion anywhere inside the barrel.

The rifle had been kept in his workshop where the humidity ranges from 35% during the winter to 80% during the summer.

Latest posts

Back