How common were handguns in the Oregon Country ca. 1810s-30s?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Fur Trade' started by hyuzu, Sep 5, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 5, 2019 #1

hyuzu

hyuzu

hyuzu

40 cal - b

My sources have plenty of information on long-guns taken out by fur traders and trappers to the Oregon Country during this period, but I haven't seen a lot of mention of handguns, I assume primarily because they're not as likely to stop a bear or a mountain lion...

I'm still curious though if there is any info, say from companies like the HBC or NWC, about how common handguns were in those days among Europeans and Euro-Americans who came to the region? Also, any info on makes/patterns would be interesting to hear...

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  2. Sep 5, 2019 #2

Grimord

Grimord

Grimord

Fyrstyk MLF Supporter

According to the manifest for the 1834 rendezvous, there were several large bore pistols brought out. Many of the pistols were kept in pommel holsters on the horse. There are drawings of pistols tucked into the waistband of a trapper. I don't know how common they were, but they were available.

hyuzu likes this.
  3. Sep 5, 2019 #3

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

HBC contracted for a trade pistol. It was not seen in the number of the fusil but was there. And Russia supplied a pistol to their trappers. Russian presence along the west cost into Northern California is an over looked part of our popular view of the western fur trade since they remained most active in Alaska.
    The Hawkins turned out large bore pistols. Jedidiah Smith had two on him when he was killed on the Santa Fe trail, he had been coming directly from St. Louis.

hyuzu and NW Territory Woodsman like this.
  4. Sep 5, 2019 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Firearms traps and tools of the mountain men by Russel and the first book of buckskinning and I think the third has some good photos of mountain man era pistols

hyuzu likes this.
  5. Sep 6, 2019 #5

hyuzu

hyuzu

hyuzu

40 cal - b

Thanks for the leads, guys. Gives me something to look in to.
    @tenngun I agree with you about Russia's presence in the Northwest being often overlooked, at least in Anglophone history. I remember posting a couple threads on Russian America here, didn't get much feedback though. There are some interesting works published in English if anyone is curious...