• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How cold is too cold for you to shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iv’e shot here at -22 F. The fouling turns to rock real fast. I had alcohol soaked cleaning patches in a baggie and got by fine gun-wise. The problem is capping, handling little thingies, and keeping the frozen mustache snot from cramping your cheek-weld form.
It is also difficult to reload with your mustache frozen to the stock of your rifle.

Well I shot a 451 in 46 below zero san wind chill factor ( 451 means a percussion rifle with typically one in 20" pitch) I fired 8 shots but couldn't handle the rifle towards the end so scrambled into my friends heated car . Generally don't like cold but in UK if you had a Govt range allocation we filled it regardless rain snow or blow. The same as most outdoor activities . I swopped Hemispeires to where these harsh weathers are far less prevalent .
Rudyard

It's the wind not the temp for me. I hunted earlier this year in 10 below but it was still. I like to stay above 20 if it's blowing.

It all depends on what I shooting and whether there is a lot of wind. I prefer not to shoot long strings with an ML if it's below 30-35° or really windy, simply due to loss of dexterity in manipulating the components. But I'll shoot a few shots or go shoot unmentionables (which for me still really just means 19th century stuff), particularly clays, if it's cold (not windy).

The heat doesn't bother me too much. Shooting is a fairly stationary activity, and in the east it's usually not above 100°. Don't get me wrong; it's not as much fun, but range days are few enough for me that I'm not missing one unless the weather is atrocious.

Hunting is another story. I'm a terrible hunter, because I can't make myself stay still for more than 15-20 minutes. It's worse when it's cold. So I need it to be a decently comfortable temperature for me to be at all dialed in.

I have more time in winter months and enjoy shooting…. I’d say often. I dress for it.
Jump in car and warm up if need.
Yet under 25 it’s not fun.

Kinda like them goofballs golfing in the rain… Silly.

Attachments

• B8704098-3728-4026-BA24-67E970E3A55A.jpeg
    B8704098-3728-4026-BA24-67E970E3A55A.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 16
Its too cold when the door to the car is froze shut. Then I go back to bed. Other wise you have to look at it with the correct perspective. "its cold as heck" .......... "well its winter, its supposed to be cold as heck"

for cartridge guns 10 F and for muzzleloaders 20F. I have shot in colder weather than that but it wasn't fun. I am a wimp who likes to have feeling in my fingers.

Ever since my Reynaud's kicked in heavy duty about a decade ago, I leave outdoor shooting and motorcycles for the summer and fall. If your fingers and toes are numb and lifeless, that's not fun. And if it's not fun, why bother?

I went to two black powder shoots this weekend here in Western PA and the temp on Saturday morning was 2 degrees F, and on Sunday was 4 degrees F. Luckily there was little to no wind. It was surprisingly comfortable shooting when you dress for the weather. Most everyone enjoyed both shoots. I was surprised how well the guns performed in the cold weather. They worked much better than in warm humid weather.

Been trying out cold weather lock lubes, last try was DGW Whale Oil. Worked OK down to -20. At -35 it was dragging enough to not spark / kick the steel over. I guess at those temps the old-timers must have run the locks dry? I read the natives here abouts did their moose hunting with French fusils in the dead of winter - so they must have figured it out.
I use no lock lube at all in deer season and later, and nothing at all in my revolvers in winter weather just a lubed patch or wad. Clean /oil them when your done. One less important source of oder to alarm your groceries.

014C0BBF-0FDC-4D3F-8DF0-AB125CF57696.jpeg

Just too warm things up a little…
Pic was taken 20 miles West of Friendship In. September 2018

If I have to put this on. Then it is too cold!

Attachments

• IMG_6902.JPG
    IMG_6902.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 11
I'm not retired yet like some you guys here, so when I get an opportunity to shoot, it's on a weekend. If I'm lucky enough to be without a pile of things on my "honey do" list, without a home repair that needs immediate attention, without some kid responsibilities, or a something else tugging at me... And assuming my home range is not running some other activity (always with modern guns, and always restricting other members)... If all of that lines up for me and I still have the energy to go out and shoot, the only weather that will prevent me from going is the rain. I don't want to fuss with wet powder, and I don't much like walking in the rain to get my targets.

During hunting season, I'll go in the rain too, because if I put any weather restrictions on that, I'll never get out.

One time I bought an un-mentionable sporterized Mauser rifle. Took it out to the range on a winter day about 20 degrees. Gun would not shoot! Took it home and disassembled the bolt - someone had "lubricated" it with a hefty dose of Vaseline!

Tom

As mentioned earlier I don't like cold and generally don't go to the range if it's below 40* outside. We're in the middle of a cold snap and I haven't shot my muzzleloaders in the last 4 weeks so I was having pretty bad withdrawal symptoms. Yesterday the temp was only about 32* but there was very little wind so I had to go. It sure felt good. As expected I had the whole place to myself and I got in an hour of so of relaxation. As a bonus it looks like it'll be a little warmer today so I'll probably get to go again.

Pretty tranquil scene from yesterday.

020 range 2-1-22.jpg

Back