• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How cold is too cold for you to shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in SE Minnesota, if I minded the cold I’d never get to go for half the year.
I dress for it. Usually 3/4 layers. Except jackets. Like the other shootist said,” jackets mess with your 7 points of shooting accuracy” . Gloves are the killer.
I have a army 1858 (repo) I love to shoot and a ‘55 Springfield ( again - repo!) and the musket is easier since I load Burton style mini’s like Pritchett’s ( seems more “civilized”) those are pretty easy. It’s the 1858 Army that gets me sometimes with fingerless gloves. When I start to fumble and drop stuff I sit in the car. I’m 60s vintage so maybe in a few years I will change my ways. So like 10 degrees with no wind ( positive not negative ) is usually the coldest I will do revolver. Musket I’ve been out at -9F. Wasn’t bad. Wasn’t good but not bad either. No one at the range !

When i asked this question i never expected it to last this long with so many responses. Right now the range is snowed in and i may have to take my snowshoes to hang targets.
Thanks for all your responses

Wednesday we get a heat wave @ 40 deg.. Goin' out to sight in a .58 Jaeger. Range I use has 'bout 8 ' of steps to tote my stuff down to the covered range. Hope the ice is gone. I use a spotting scope , 'cause I no longer like the back and forth exercise , checking hits on target. Hopefully , 10 to 15 shots , and we're done. File the front sight down to make the hits move up the target to 1" above dead center. Perhaps a touch of left/right for perfection....Done............ oldwood

Since I live in Alabama, never too cold too shoot. I've sat nigh on motionless for a 12 hour shift in subfreezing temps outside in a DFP/PDP, and many times in sub-freezing temps without firing a shot waiting for a mid-sized cervid to wander in front of me and my gun. Wind is a bigger factor than actual cold to me when shooting. If you're asking "How tough are you", the answer is "tough enough to live in rural Alabama despite a vast array of disadvantages that entails in every aspect of life".

I was up in Lewisburg PA over the weekend for their 18th century show. I had to walk about a 1/4 mile on icy gutters from where I parked. By the time I got to the show, my mustache had frozen. I think it was 15 degrees out. That's just too cold to shoot and nearly too cold to go to a show I drove 2-1/2 hrs each way to see.

I have arthritis n my hands and do a lot of fumbling and drop stuff when I really don't want to. This is when it is somewhat warm. Cold, below about 50 for me things get problematical. I really have to pay attention. It has put a damper on my shooting the BP stuff, especially revolvers. It's affected my shooting as well as my wood carving, I have trouble with buttons. I just have to take it slow and I have to see what I'm working on because of the lack of feeling in the fingers sometimes. It's troublesome but we'll get through it. It boils down to , how bad do you want to do something.

Never to cold. Cold and wet, yes, but never to cold.

In the Ohio River valley, coldest I've shot is a -15 ºF without Windchill.. That was about 25 years ago but I did get my deer that day.

For me it is the 40º to 20ºF temperatures where it is either raining, or a wet snow to soak through the wool that gets cold. I wear beaver fur chopper mits with wool lining and fingers paired in the mit.....then a slit to poke just my trigger finger out. Range shooting, I've competed at 10ºF. I admit my feet did get a bit cold, but I had modern boots on instead of my warm mukluks or modern snow boots....my fault, not the weather... Love my Canadian cap I inherited from a friend who passes last year. It is so much warmer than my other hat but I do miss the fox hat (colonial style not western fur trade style) One of my pups got it years ago and did a good job killing the game she 'caught'. Yup. I rolled up the newspaper nice and tight. and hit ........MYSELF on the head over and over for leaving it in an accessible spot.

Heavy wind will keep me inside way more than cold. I see no need to attempt to shoot groups with a round ball at 100 yards in gusty winds, especially in a range with high berms that insures different changing directons.

Back