• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How cold is too cold for you to shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As mentioned earlier I don't like cold and generally don't go to the range if it's below 40* outside. We're in the middle of a cold snap and I haven't shot my muzzleloaders in the last 4 weeks so I was having pretty bad withdrawal symptoms. Yesterday the temp was only about 32* but there was very little wind so I had to go. It sure felt good. As expected I had the whole place to myself and I got in an hour of so of relaxation. As a bonus it looks like it'll be a little warmer today so I'll probably get to go again.

Pretty tranquil scene from yesterday.

View attachment 119156
Your lucky, snow on the ground makes the cold more comfortable to me.
Yesterday here was 26 when I headed out, 30 by the time I got my target set up then warmed up to 32 by noon with light winds.
My bear oil kept freezing up, had to set it in the sun on my car's hood to keep a thin layer that would pour.
Could not get any to go with me so I had the entire valley to myself all day. But I would have preferred a layer of snow on the ground.

Attachments

• 20220202_140336.jpg
    20220202_140336.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 23
I went to a match yesterday. When I got to the range it was at 0. Walked into the club house and flipped on the lights and propane heater. Fifteen minutes later it was nice and toasty. Shot the match then went for Chinese buffet where I get a senior discount. It was -8 when I got home. If my car won't start it's to cold.

One time I bought an un-mentionable sporterized Mauser rifle. Took it out to the range on a winter day about 20 degrees. Gun would not shoot! Took it home and disassembled the bolt - someone had "lubricated" it with a hefty dose of Vaseline!

Tom
Had that happen one year in W.VA hunting deer, got a killer deal on a original O3A4 complete with M-84 glass, It was summer time when I got and zeroed the rifle, So off to the mountain state first day rifle was hovering around 10 degrees along about noon time comes along a decent 6 pt. buck at about 60 yards, settle the post on his boiler room and click the the gun would not fire re-set the cock and click again, figured bad primer, so carefully chambered another round and click, finally the deer has had enough. Head back to where we were camped at figured the firing pin was broke, tore the bolt apart and it was packed full of cosmoline, de greased the bolt went back out same spot right before last shooting light Mr. buck shows up the rifle went off and the rest is history.

I've done a Seneca run on snowshoes when I lived in Northern Maine. There weren't many warm days there so you didn't have much choice. Now about 50 would be my limit.

Had that happen one year in W.VA hunting deer, got a killer deal on a original O3A4 complete with M-84 glass, It was summer time when I got and zeroed the rifle, So off to the mountain state first day rifle was hovering around 10 degrees along about noon time comes along a decent 6 pt. buck at about 60 yards, settle the post on his boiler room and click the the gun would not fire re-set the cock and click again, figured bad primer, so carefully chambered another round and click, finally the deer has had enough. Head back to where we were camped at figured the firing pin was broke, tore the bolt apart and it was packed full of cosmoline, de greased the bolt went back out same spot right before last shooting light Mr. buck shows up the rifle went off and the rest is history.
You got the last laugh that time!

This morning here in Yuma it was 46 and calm so I went out to the range. Low 50's by the time I got there but calm and not real uncomfortable. Arthritic hands is my problem with the cold. When the sun got up over the mountain it jumped to over 60 and felt good for awhile, then the wind came up and ruined it. Wind cooled it down and my hands started getting troublesome, came home. A little cool I can deal with ok but the wind combo kills it for me. I get to clumsy with the fingers.

Went up on the mountain yesterday and shot my Kentucky rifle. It was 30 degrees and snowing so I didn’t have to worry about snakes, yellow jackets or two legged varmints. Shot about 40 times, no hurry. Saw an elk on the way home. Life was good.

This morning here in Yuma it was 46 and calm so I went out to the range. Low 50's by the time I got there but calm and not real uncomfortable. Arthritic hands is my problem with the cold. When the sun got up over the mountain it jumped to over 60 and felt good for awhile, then the wind came up and ruined it. Wind cooled it down and my hands started getting troublesome, came home. A little cool I can deal with ok but the wind combo kills it for me. I get to clumsy with the fingers.

I’d give anything for temps in the 50s right now

It does not get too cold to shoot here. I will go as long as it is dry. I do notice that my preludes patches get stiff in the cold which makes loading slightly more difficult as the ball wants to move around on the patch instead of sitting still.

Back