• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How cold is too cold for you to shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been out at -20F…oddly I was the only one.
93D97452-5B73-42C2-9ACC-2767BED2F91C.jpeg

40 deg. F.....I don't go to competitions any longer. But I have a Jaeger rifle to sight in. I.m hoping the guy doesn't want the gun until it warms up. I don't like to work on a gun in the cold. Typically , it might take 10 to 15 shots to file the sights to get the rifle on target correctly.
Once at the range in the early spring , a straight line wind came out of nowhere. Luckily,we saw it coming,and grabbed the rifles and range scope before it hit us. All to do , was to find our hats , and the stuff it trashed off the benches. A recoverable mess. I don't leave any rifle on the bench unattended any longer.............oldwood

I like this thread, good to see the various approaches. For target shooting I lose interest when it gets colder than 20 above zero. The coldest I've ever hunted in was 15 below zero, no more of that thank you very much.

We have built an elaborate shooting house on our range, but it's not heated yet. Until then I'm voting in favor of comfort first.

I want to add a piece of sage advice I got many years ago about shooting in the cold and hunting in Winter.

If you spend your Summer and early Fall practicing your shot and you get it down to a science don't be surprised if come hunting season your shots suck. It's the jacket you are wearing. All that time practicing was without a large parka or other bulky warm coat and when you put on a winter jacket and go to shoot your mechanics are not the same as t-shirt shooting weather.

So if you plan on winter hunting, do some range time in your jacket.

Been out at -20F…oddly I was the only one.
View attachment 118329

Huh, how strange is that!?? 🤣

It isn't the temp but the wind chill. Nuts to that stuff.
40* for me but it's the wind.

wm

Thats me too. No wind and at least 45f. The more the wind, the more mercury for me. :)

Hunting is different. I'll go hunt at below zero. But, I'm not a tree sitter or any kind of sitter. I move around.

Friday the Ancient Ones of Maine shot their monthly Geezer Shoot. It was in the midteens when we started and low twenties when we finished.
we had some cold toes and fingers but enjoyed a great chicken soup and good company making for a great time. Outside and inside.
I did it come in last this time by the points I got only hitting four of ten. My smooth bore can hit ‘‘em when I try hard enough.
had fun as always!
LBL

Attachments

• 7F5C5D56-20F5-450A-9ECB-5D8E9096D218.jpeg
    7F5C5D56-20F5-450A-9ECB-5D8E9096D218.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 31
I'll shoot regardless of the temps, but if it's cold and windy I'd rather not. I shot this months postal match in -16°. My range is in my backyard so if my fingers get cold I just walk inside for a minute. I've shot a couple coyotes out the bathroom window, with an unmentionable. Haven't tried that with a flintlock, my wife's sense of humor is questionable at times.

I Shoot twice a week mostly, over 45 degrees out door range , any caliber any firearm, under 45 degrees indoor range hand guns center or rim fure, no black powder.

My bench is 10 feet from the door so stepping back in to warm up is no problem. Shot the other day, it was 38 with no wind :thumb: Now days unless it's a new gun that needs shot when it hits the 20's I'm done as my fingers quit working well. In the 80's I used to have access to a huge quarry, the ground water running down the walls would freeze into enormous walls of ice and icicles. It was worth braving the cold to be presented with so many reactive targets and plenty of cheap surplus ammo. Thick ice will absorb 30-06 rounds better than you would think. Used to go there nearly every weekend until some horse's ass got in there and shot up some of their equipment and no one was allowed to shoot there anymore:mad:

Last edited:
30-plus years ago the temperature didn't matter. If I could get to the range I would shoot. I had ice in my beard and mustache more than once. Work kept me busy so I had to go when I could. Now I'm retired and shoot when it's comfortable, 45 degrees minimum. Below that, every year and old injury lets me know about it. ;)

Jeff

Back