• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How cold is too cold for you to shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportster73hp

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was supposed to shoot a match this morning. Alarm goes off and then my phone rings. It’s my shooting partner/carpool buddy. He tells me it is 0 degrees F at the range and he is bailing out on me, staying home in front of the fire.
On the way home from the club last night my car said -14 to a+2 degree. I text the range officer for the club and tell her we weren’t coming.
My question is “ what temp is too cold to shoot a paper match “?

It really depends on where you are and what you are use to. I AK I shot at 13 below but you get use to colder temps there and if you don't get out when it's cold you go stir crazy.
This is why I left Alaska after 41 years and am now happily shooting in sunny Southern Arizona. I just wish the dang wind didn't blow so much. It's always something!

If you shoot a caplock rifle or pistol, trying to handle #11 caps when your fingers are numb from the cold is very difficult. Cappers do help. Handling roundball and patching material does become more difficult when you can't feel them.
Working outdoors in winter, most times I was bare handed. I could not work with gloves on my hands and have the sensitivity needed to separate small wires.
If the temperature is below freezing, it's too cold to stand and shoot targets. Carpel tunnel adds to the difficulty too.

If I have to use gloves, it's too cold to shoot for me. I don't shoot matches, but when I go to the club I don't enjoy shooting if my fingers are numb with cold.

That said, I did hunt yesterday evening and it was 16 degrees. It snowed,, and was the last day of our flintlock season in SE PA. But I was bundled up and had gloves on to keep warm. I will venture out to deer hunt cold or not, as I only need to remove the glove from my trigger hand if I get a shot opportunity.

When I was younger, me and my shooting buddy would shoot our pistols every day no matter the weather, at least 25 rounds. Some days it was a .22 some days our Reminton 58s. That was over 40 years ago and in my old age I prefer warm weather now. We did get to be dam good shots with pistols though. We kept this up for over five years till he took a job out of town.

Was supposed to shoot a match this morning. Alarm goes off and then my phone rings. It’s my shooting partner/carpool buddy. He tells me it is 0 degrees F at the range and he is bailing out on me, staying home in front of the fire.
On the way home from the club last night my car said -14 to a+2 degree. I text the range officer for the club and tell her we weren’t coming.
In the old days, temp did not matter. Now that I am a senior, about 35 deg will make me decline. High wind, no matter what the temp is also a big NO!
Larry

Well it's never "too cold" for the guns, powder and the paper is it? They'll work no matter,,
It's about the comfort of the shooter, and that's a relative thing.
I'm in Minn, so we know cold,, and 10 degrees in November, is a lot different than 10 degrees in March, we acclimate.
When I was 25 I didn't care what it was, just bundle up in layers and go (same with Ice Fishing).
But now 40yrs later, like Des52, I'm a bit more of a whimp.
Depends on the wind. There seems to be a line between 10-20 degrees, 20's fine, but at 10 with even a light breeze the cold creeps into these old bones pretty quick! Fingers get cold,, the olde ticker ain't pumping like it used too, 🥴

Latest posts

Back