• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How Big ya need …to feel Safe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a lot of gun I can assure you. I max the gun out with 150grs 2F, .710 round ball at 535grs and a .15 pillow ticking patch. I also use a fiber wad on top of the powder just keep the powder from burning up the patch.
It is capable of shooting 4in groups at 100 yds off the bench and much tighter groups at closer ranges. If you coild maintain your nerve and stay on target you could put the ball in a Grizzlies skull at 25 yds.
Here's a few photos of the rifle I just took, please ignore my messy shop... ;)
That is a biiiiig hole at the muzzle ... knock this old man on his can. Dale

Rite on. That seems to be a common theme… as Most who read the OP see I’m not discussing hunting Grizzly. Im Talking about hunting Elk and Black Bear in Montana- where they have one of the largest populations of the Grizzly.
This thread like many Bear threads get a bit “frayed”. I was wanting to know from those that hunt regularly in Montana…. Do they go prepared to defend against Large Bruin? Or just go about there regular hunting plan.
Well, like I said, I lived and hunted in Alaska for 6 years. I always had bears in mind but armed myself for what I was hunting. You have to know what your doing and keep a cool head. If you go in the woods you must be ready for whatever comes your way, weather kills more people than bears. Best of luck on your hunt and always carry a gun you can shoot well.

All I meant was- why not take the kids hiking in a area that did not have Grizzly Bears… “If possible”. Also, Of course I agree with taking a lead dispenser with you.
where does a 600 pound Grizzly go? anywhere he dang well pleases! worry more about the two legged crack heads next door! or down the street, or just driving by!

Off topic- Lets stay on topic…. Yet,Where do you walk and hike with kids? Um preferably not anywhere near either of those dangers!

Most responses on this thread are ,.54 cal - and be aware of surroundings. I understand that… yet a .62 would certainly make me feel a tad more comfortable….. or a .72 like another member previously posted

Back