• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How Big ya need …to feel Safe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably much safer than hiking to school in Baltimore and the scenery is much nicer… my risk assessment says I’d do much the same. And if I lived in grizzly country I bet I’d forgo the shotgun for most outdoor activities.
You think Baltimore isn't safe? I had a friend that worked in Baltimore and never had a problem? He was a tail gunner on a bread truck!

A few years back some newcomers were complaining about parents standing guard with guns at school bus stops in the morning. They were basically told to bugger off.

Something whispers to me that Forest Gump would have had a piece tucked away when he saw his son off at the Bus Stop , and waited for him all day to return.....

Probably much safer than hiking to school in Baltimore and the scenery is much nicer… my risk assessment says I’d do much the same. And if I lived in grizzly country I bet I’d forgo the shotgun for most outdoor activities.
I'm all to familiar with Baltimore & you're absolutely right on both accounts.

I have never understood why the topic of bears and the right caliber weapon gets people worked up. African double, it sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. You have a competent back up hunter with a backup rifle. If I hunt something dangerous I always tend to go with biggest caliber I can shoot effectively.
I lived on Kodiak island for 6 years and hunted there a lot. Never alone and always with bears on my mind. Be smart, be prepared and I look forward to hearing about your hunt.
as for me, I would be toting my half stock Hawken in .62, 125 grains of 11/2 F Swiss and a PBR. I think a good double lung shot is all you need. I have only shot on black bear and he did not go far.

looking out my living room glass door a few years ago.
i live just south and west of Ranch Roper and we have enough Griz we would be glad to share with any of you fine folk.
while hunting even with a .54 cal i carry spray.
even with a vaunted breech loading round, punching through a Griz heart, he is going to kill you. they have been known to operate for 3 minutes with their heart nothing but tatters. Like Cape Buffalo they have so much vitality that they don't know they are dead.
spray operates successfully by creating a change in their attitude. from "I am going to kill" to "I can't breathe, i can't breathe"
many won't agree and if over the last 3 decades i had gotten 100.00 from every one that has argued against spray in favor of their favorite super tyranasaurious killer, i could buy any original long rifle i desired. and i desire them all!

a cns shot is your only perfect downer on a Griz. or even a Black Bear. those i have killed my share of and some of them have been a hairy.
when i was younger i prided myself of fast draw speed and accuracy. i shudder at the thought of trying even one perfect stopper on a animal that is running with the speed of a horse, straight at me, bobbing its head up and down like a tempest in a teacup, and making a gawd awful sound fit to void my bowels.
did i mention the best bullet would be UDAP bear spray? ymmv ps. these kept the wife and myself cooped up in the house for 5 hours. and one of these was later shot raiding a neighbors hog pen.View attachment 118014View attachment 118015View attachment 118016View attachment 118014
When I went to Alaska moose hunting for the first time I called the Fish and Game to ask if I could bring my .44 Mag handgun for protection against bears. I was told that if I shot a bear with my handgun I'd just make him mad, and to do what they do and get a large can of bear spray and carry it, eat with it, sleep with it and use it if necessary. They said if I used it I'd be safe for about an hour, and I could kick it, pet it or anything else I wanted to do, but after an hour when the spray wore off I'd better be gone because their bears have good memories. When I was in Alaska that's what I and my buddy did. Never had to use it, but I've hunted and taken bear (black bear) in Minnesota many years and one year I used it on a charging bear with me on the menu and the bear dropped like he hit a stone wall. I didn't wait the hour !!! I'd be carrying bear spray guys, and forget the high powered iron. It works !! Bear spray is not your typical pepper spray, it's 10x more powerful, and bush pilots won't allow you to fly with it in the cockpit AT ALL. Have to put it in the floats. BTW, it is correct that a black bear is more dangerous than a Griz. A Griz might leave you after awhile, but a blackie will always take you with him, in his belly. They come to eat. I love hunting bear.

All I meant was- why not take the kids hiking in a area that did not have Grizzly Bears… “If possible”. Also, Of course I agree with taking a lead dispenser with you.
I live in this area, know that school. Taking a gun while on a hike in the mountains here is a very reasonable precaution, much like wearing seatbelts in your car on a busy interstate highway, and probably safer than the highway.

I have never understood why the topic of bears and the right caliber weapon gets people worked up. African double, it sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. You have a competent back up hunter with a backup rifle. If I hunt something dangerous I always tend to go with biggest caliber I can shoot effectively.
I lived on Kodiak island for 6 years and hunted there a lot. Never alone and always with bears on my mind. Be smart, be prepared and I look forward to hearing about your hunt.
as for me, I would be toting my half stock Hawken in .62, 125 grains of 11/2 F Swiss and a PBR. I think a good double lung shot is all you need. I have only shot on black bear and he did not go far.
If a bear is a threat, you won't get a lung shot. Your primary target will be a spot about the size of tennis ball on the head.

Rite on. That seems to be a common theme… as Most who read the OP see I’m not discussing hunting Grizzly. Im Talking about hunting Elk and Black Bear in Montana- where they have one of the largest populations of the Grizzly.
This thread like many Bear threads get a bit “frayed”. I was wanting to know from those that hunt regularly in Montana…. Do they go prepared to defend against Large Bruin? Or just go about there regular hunting plan.

Back