• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How are smooth bore barrels made?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melnic

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thinking that the people on this sub section might know how Smooth bore barrels are manufactured. Specifically, a smooth bore. Do they do something like button rifling where they pull or push something through a slightly undersized barrel to make the barrel internal diameter uniform?

A proper sized hole is drilled followed by a reamer of the correct size, that's it. Rice pushes a carbide ball through their rifled barrels, I don't know if they do that with their smoothbore barrels.

Well I don’t know if this is widely know, but you take your rifeling machine and carefully Iine the cutting tooth with the lands and scrape the lines until removed. Rube Goldberg demonstrated it.

A few use 'seamless steel tubing'. Although a number frown on it.

Well I don’t know if this is widely know, but you take your rifeling machine and carefully Iine the cutting tooth with the lands and scrape the lines until removed. Rube Goldberg demonstrated it.
Was he charging by the hour?

I would use Welded (DOM) before Seamless (DOM) also, but I would be cautious of who made the Welded tube. Seamless has an inherent 'spiral' I.D. (Mannesmann Process) which elongates within the length of the tube regardless of how many times it is re-drawn. Not cost effective inn this case.
Cheers,
R

Back