How Are Forum Accounts Being Hacked?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
One of my last sales on here I talked to the buyer , actually I traded even up , so "trader" on the phone so we can both verify that I'm not a man with a heavy accent demanding payment by Zelle only or whatever scammers do and that he is an actual human that knows about guns and not a random grifter or a bot.

I also have YouTube videos of myself shooting muzzleloaders that I have sent to prospective buyers , and I have a weird distinctive voice that sounds like the guy from Waterboy "we ain't won a game since 1990-Fo" that matches my videos so that made the guy more comfortable.

Otherwise, like was said, only trust people on here that have years in and 1000s of posts, or have at least meaningfully contributed to the forum.

People are not as likely to join last week and immediately start trying to sell guns on here, most people looking to do that just use GunBroker.

There is less risk being a seller obviously because you don't ship until you have good funds in your possession.

Reaction score
This seems to be a timely topic, so, how do we protect ourselves?
How are bad guys doing this?
The idea has been suggested that it is one of our own, so to speak, rather than an outsider.
Regardless, how do we protect ourselves, and guard against photoshopping, which was illustrated yesterday?
Why can't everyone just play nice???
Hackers are most likely breaking into accounts by using a "brute force" attack. Brute force attacks are basically computer programs designed to randomly guess possible passwords until they are able to access the account. The way I suggest people protect themselves is to use passwords that cannot be easily guessed. Don't use "password" or "123456" or "qwertyuiop" as your password. A good way to make a password is to make an acronym. An example of this would be "I planted lettuce in my garden on Tuesday the 22nd." which abbreviated would become "iplimgott22nd". This is a good password because it contains numbers and letters, and also it does not use any words in the dictionary, making it impervious to "brute force" attacks. Also, make sure to change your email from time to time!

Basic principle of a brute force attack:
Illustration-of-a-brute-force-attack.png

Reaction score
Yup. Happened to me via a credit card, not from here. On here, I called or the seller has called. Kinda fun, actually, to chat with those you've only "known" through their posts. Works for me.