• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

how adjust a cast brass trigger guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voltigeur

36 Cal.
Reaction score
For my new project,the trigger guard (straight)must be bended about .75" for to
correspond to the angle of the stock.
How can I do for a good result.
viewer.php
[/url][/IMG]
ilz2.jpg

First you have to cut that "bridge" off and after I would heat the guard in the area where it has to be bent and a little on each side dull red and air cool to anneal it or likely it'll break.

It should be soft already, if it is a suitable brass alloy. It should bend in your hands.

Brass is annealed by heating then quenching, opposite of steel. Working it hardens it.

Brass can be annealed by heating and air cooling. The reason many think it has to be water quenched is because when annealing cartridge cases they are stood in water and knocked over after heating. This is done to prevent the heat from reaching the cartridge base which must retain the full strength of the alloy as manufactured to prevent failure. Either way will anneal the brass. Yes, working hardens it fast.

That looks like a sand cast guard and it may not take the required bend without breaking as the bend looks like it will be concentrated in one area.

That trigger guard looks like it is for a Baker rifle. If you got it from the Rifle Shoppe it should bend easily. But remove that casting sprue between the front of the trigger guard and the post in the rear first. Heat it and let it air cool like the others have stated for insurance. Brass does work harden so it needs to be softened.
Good luck on your project. Mike

thanks you for your advices,the trigger guard come from to Peter Dyson.I'll come back
to you when it will be done.

Hi,
You are probably going to have trouble not so much bending but making the guard not look awkward. I assume and hope your stock profile is not what you drew. I would hope you have a smooth curve to accomplish the angle and not straight lines and a hard inside corner.

dave

When I have to make large adjustments I use leather as cushion and clamp with progressive pressure over time to ease the stress allowing the metal time to relax as the adjustment takes place.

When I had to deepen the bow of my trigger guard to accommodate the forward swing of a DASST I heated that area to a cherry red, and bent it while it was hot. I don't know if that was the "right" way to do it or not, but that's what I did, and it stayed together and didn't break. I did things similarly for modifying the shape of the various unsupported spurs.

Latest posts

Back