• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How accurately correct is my GPR....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Boy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just built a Lyman GPR kit in .54 percussion. Was wondering if this gun would be acceptable for the fur trade era. Been thinking about doing some reenacting (still unsure where to start).

The couple of Rendevous I have been to, they were often times seen. I like the looks of them and they are great shooters.....

GPR is a good classic copy of a half stock percussion rifle for the 1830-1860 era.

IN was not a frontier wilderness at that time, no deer, no elk, buffalo long gone! Reduced calibers were the norm, but there were good quality half stock rifles in use in the IN woods.

www.muzzleloadermag.com

click on groups and enter your state, it will give you a list of clubs in your area. IN is full of buckskinning groups that do Rocky Mountain fur trade without being in the Rockies as well as good historically accurate IN frontier camps. You'll have hundreds of events in IN,OH,IL,NKY, probably within a couple hours driving time.

Muzzleblasts also has lists of groups in each state.

and you can always run over to Friendship in June and Sept.

A GPR is a good place to start a kit. You bought the most expensive thing first! You can put a full camp together for half the price of the gun!

:thumbsup:

The GPR is a LOT closer to what a real Hawken looks like than 98% of the other rifles they sell as "Hawkens" these days.

Ghost: I think the Buffalo might have been hiding out there on the plains until the 1870-1880s when the single shot cartridge guns like the .45-70, .45-90 and .45-120s were used to wipe them out?

I think someone forgot to tell the Apache's in Arizona and New Mexico about the lack of a Frontier too.
::

Thanks, guys. And thanks for the link, Ghost! I should have thought of that! Been to that website before.

I noticed one of the clubs is the Oubache Longrifles. I did an article on them for an outdoor column I used to write a few years ago. Should get out there and do some shooting and maybe find some guys that reenact. Thanks again for the help fellas!

Back