• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How about some Horseradish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X2 on processing in in a blender or food processor with the lid on it. That eliminates the choking and burning eyes. The first time I ground horseradish was with my inlaws 40 years ago in our garage with doors open and a good wind. We had a hand meat grinder and we had to take turns to keep from crying bad. Processor is much better.
And I'm still doing it with a knuckle buster box grater! o_O

I'm surprised no one's mentioned how good the leaves of HR can be. Young ones in the Spring for your salads and more mature leaves later in the year fried up with other greens, stews are great.

This spring I planted my first horseradish that took. I plan to let it pass the winter we’re it is and in the spring harvest half the plant to eat and replant the rest. Am I on the right track?

Grew and ground Horseradish for years but to my mistake I pulled it all up to grind and I never left enough for it to come back, have kicked myself ever since and still don't have any growing, so don't pull all the roots up.

I dig the roots out with a spade and try to leave part of the root when I dig. In other words I split the plant in the ground. I also cut the top of the plant off the harvested root in the garden and replant the top piece with the hope it will regrow too. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If I had a huge horseradish plot I wouldn't bother.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned how good the leaves of HR can be. Young ones in the Spring for your salads and more mature leaves later in the year fried up with other greens, stews are great.

Didn't know you could eat the leaves.

The best info I've found on the subject is, "Illinois horseradish: a natural condiment," University of Illinois Extension circular 1084. The PDF can be found at: https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/34096. There is a good explanation of the vinegar timing, the use of ice during grinding, and a number of excellent recipe ideas. We are very much horseradish enthusiasts and so was a neighbor who, lacking his own patch, opted to take a group of late-night buddies to an abandoned patch for a "dig." Pitch dark and harvesting by car headlights, they persevered and by sunup had managed to grind their ill-gotten gains into the worst tasting horseradish produced by man. A survey of the patch at a later date during the day revealed the horseradish intact but most of the Peony bed missing!

‘Mature’ horseradish..... we purchased our first house years ago from someone who had rented it out since their father had passed about 10 years prior. Their father had raised horseradish and it was left to grow wild for those 10 years. My grandmother dug up some and it was potent beyond belief. Thought it was going to set off smoke alarms. The blender she used to grind it up had to be tossed. Whatever you processed in that blender after that horseradish had a been ground in it had that taste of horseradish to it. Nothing could remove that horseradish ‘seasoning’ from the blender.

I always used to say I drank the martini just so I could eat the olive. My plant is doing really well. For some reason it started growing faster a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it prefers the cooler weather.

Latest posts

Back