• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How about an ID?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilsmom

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I posted a little bit of information about this gun when I introduced myself. This gun came from my grandfather's grandfather. My grandfather was born in 1910, and was the oldest of 9 kids, so that could definitely support the idea that the gun came from around the Civil War, although I seriously doubt it was used as a war piece. My grandfather used the gun during the Depression as a squirrel gun, and my mom said that he had to rebore it and cut off a good half a foot or so due to warping. I know that the bore is rifled, although I am not sure if it was originally that way. I know that my grandfather rebored it to a .36 caliber. The barrel is octagon shaped. There are no markings on the gun at all, other than some very worn proof marks. I truly suspect it was a local made gun that is a typical "hardware store" gun, but other than where it's been in the family, we have no other info on it, so it would be neat to know what it is.

gun005.jpg

gun006.jpg

gun004.jpg

gun022.jpg

gun001.jpg

It's a very interesting looking rifle and looks like it has seen some better days. I guess if I was around as long as it has I wouldn't look any better. But still a very neat and interesting rifle. I hope you find all that you are looking for. Good luck. jake

Cool rifle, though I can't help you with any ID. You're truly blessed to have it as a hand me down. Just to know that your granddad used it way back when is cool. All I have of my grandpa's is his old framing square that he used to build both of his houses, and a pair of pliers. Still, I treasuer them.

Its not loaded is it?

I only ask because it was common to keep guns loaded in that era, word of it being loaded was sometimes overlooked as the gun was passed down throughout the generations.

Great to have family heirlooms!! :thumbsup:

It appears to have some worn scroll accents at both ends of the lock. What proof marks are you referring to? Are they on the barrel?

Please take that rifle out into the sunlight, and take some more shots. It is difficult to see the stock and trigger guard etc....

It actually looks pretty sound! I would at a minimum put lube in that bore.

Oh no, it's not loaded at all. My mom actually had it for several years before she finally passed it on to me. And those are called scroll marks, huh.... I know there are all sorts of different proof marks, and I thought that was part of it. Guess it is just decoration, LOL. My grandparents on both sides were awesome about passing stuff down to us grandkids. My parents as well... When my father passed away, I inherited his gun collection, however I don't believe any of them would be welcome in this forum :grin: . Like I said, I figured it would be kind of a long shot on an ID, but I just was curious about the making history of it. As for lube, a good gun oil works just as well, shouldn't it?

And when we finally have some sunny days, I'll take some more shots of it. We have been so wet and cold here lately, but the deer are loving it!

Most " gun oils" are petroleum based. DON'T use them as a patch lube. They simply gum up the bore and make it much more difficult to clean out. Use a vegetable oil, or just olive oil, if you insist on using an oil for lubing the patch.

You can use your own spit, by wiping the cloth patch( patching) over your own tongue, to moisten it. Works fine. So does plain water. Just don't get the patch too wet, as it will foul the powder charge in the barrel. :thumbsup:

If your talking about patch lube, Paul is correct.

If your talking about general lubrication of the lock, bore, or the outside of all steel parts a good gun oil is just fine.

If you do use gun oil in the bore just be sure to wipe it out with an alcohol soaked patch before loading it.

As for the gun, it was probably made after 1830 and before 1860.
The trigger guard seems to be iron?
If so, it indicates (but does not guarantee) that it was made in the South.
It does seem to be a cast part and most of the Southern guns had wrought iron guards.

Maybe it is just the picture but it also seems to be without a metal nose cap at the muzzle of the stock.
That also hints of a Southern manufacture but not necessarily.

Some very "plain" rifles were made in many States without nosecaps for those folks who either couldn't afford such niceties or didn't like them on general principles.

I thought it looked like it had a nose cap wrap but without a front cap over the end grain. More and better pics would be nice.

You should really get the gun apart, and look for markings inside the lock, barrel underneath, etc...

This rifle may be shootable! I would be sure to have it checked out first!

Thats a fine lookin rifle and with history to boot.
I agree with the post about takin it apart carefully, inspect,record and take pics of any markings, lube it up well and if possible, have a gunsmith who is knowledgeable is BP firearms check it out.

Zonie said:
As for the gun, it was probably made after 1830 and before 1860.
The trigger guard seems to be iron?
If so, it indicates (but does not guarantee) that it was made in the South.
It does seem to be a cast part and most of the Southern guns had wrought iron guards.

Maybe it is just the picture but it also seems to be without a metal nose cap at the muzzle of the stock.
That also hints of a Southern manufacture but not necessarily.

Some very "plain" rifles were made in many States without nosecaps for those folks who either couldn't afford such niceties or didn't like them on general principles.

This is a good average quality rifle probably dating to 1825-1865 give or take.Guns like this are very difficult to place as to their place of origin.

As to the gun itself, I wonder about it "having been bored out to .36 Cal." That presumes the original caliber to have been less than .36 Cal.which seems rather unlikely.More likely the bore was freshed somewhat.As to the "gun/barrel" having been shortened, without handling it I can't address that issue, although the barrel may have its original length based on the length of the horn which is probably about 13"-14" +/- long.

What I find most interesting is the lock with its engraved symetrical C scrolls. I seriously doubt this lock being the original one.The engraved C scrolls on each end of the lock constitute simplified rococo design which is highly unlikely to have been original to an American country rifle of this quality from the mid 19th century. Additionally the lock appears to have been shaved on at least one {the rear}end.The lock is somewhat ill fitting and I am reasonably sure that it probably replaced the original lock at some time.I cannot tell as to whether the gun was at one time flint nor can I say the lock was originally flint but rather doubt it.The engraving of the lock suggests a Dutch,French,or other European influence although an American origin is possible.This is NOT a hardware store lock but in my opinion it was salvaged from another and perhaps earlier gun.I can't ever remember seeing a gun like this one with rococo engraving and symetrical C scrolls on the original lock.

Mike Brooks; where are you when we need you? :bow: :hmm:
As always I welcome responsible opposing comments.
Tom Patton

Back