• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hounds and flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
Today after work I took my pup that's fresh started on rabbits as well as my good ol 10 year old male, for a few rabbits.
In about 1 HR they had a total of 3 up, the first one made a nice circle less than 100 yards out, came back to the jump where I gave'm a face full of 6's.
The 2nd one ran out a fence row with a dead end and dogs went quiet. Figured he holed.
The 3rd was the best chase really as far as dog work goes, jumped out right in front of the pup and gave a good sight chase, they both sounded off till things grew quiet, after a bit they sorted it out and kept him moving. He came back to the jump where I stood, with the trade gun up and following his few hops, stop, few hops stop. I left him come to about 12 yards when I gave him some 6's.
Made me realize it doesn't get much better than muzzleloading and hound dogs 🇺🇸
I told my wife recently if I could do a hunt it would be mountain lion treed by hounds and kill it with my 45 flintlock.

Specs are as follows
Pecatonica River NW trade gun kit made by me
PXL_20211221_200027471.jpg

42" Colerain 20 ga
L&R Queen Anne Lock

50 grain 2f
Wasp nest wadding
1 oz #6
Over shot card? Who needs that, I just use whatever happens to be laying near me to stuff over the front of shot, corn husk, leaves. Whatever.

Last edited:
Brian, you're hunting like we have for years here. Carrying a fowler behind a brace of good beagles is hard to top. Friends and I can't wait after the solitude and stillness of deer season to get together for the social event of rabbit hunting. Lots of fun!

I want to mention, if you don't print an 8" x 10", or larger copy, of the tailgate photograph, frame it and put it on a wall, I'm going to question your sanity! Beautiful image.....

Best regards, Skychief.

Love everything about this. Nothing better than a good dog and a day hunting.

I was once a rabbit hunting fool, but never with a flintlock.. You've taken that wonderful past time to a higher plane. Miss the beagles. Wonderful dogs and fun to train, if one has the patience.

Brian, you're hunting like we have for years here. Carrying a fowler behind a brace of good beagles is hard to top. Friends and I can't wait after the solitude and stillness of deer season to get together for the social event of rabbit hunting. Lots of fun!

I want to mention, if you don't print an 8" x 10", or larger copy, of the tailgate photograph, frame it and put it on a wall, I'm going to question your sanity! Beautiful image.....

Best regards, Skychief.
Thanks, yes I hunt a lot of rabbits after rifle season ends here in PA. Usually January and February is solid rabbit hunting. I usually use an over and under 20 guage but I thought I may as well use the trade gun, it would be fun and it was!

Today after work I took my pup that's fresh started on rabbits as well as my good ol 10 year old male, for a few rabbits.
In about 1 HR they had a total of 3 up, the first one made a nice circle less than 100 yards out, came back to the jump where I gave'm a face full of 6's.
The 2nd one ran out a fence row with a dead end and dogs went quiet. Figured he holed.
The 3rd was the best chase really as far as dog work goes, jumped out right in front of the pup and gave a good sight chase, they both sounded off till things grew quiet, after a bit they sorted it out and kept him moving. He came back to the jump where I stood, with the trade gun up and following his few hops, stop, few hops stop. I left him come to about 12 yards when I gave him some 6's.
I told my wife recently if I could do a hunt it would be mountain lion treed by hounds and kill it with my 45 flintlock.

Specs are as follows
Pecatonica River NW trade gun kit made by meView attachment 110671
42" Colerain 20 ga
L&R Queen Anne Lock

50 grain 2f
Wasp nest wadding
1 oz #6
Over shot card? Who needs that, I just use whatever happens to be laying near me to stuff over the front of shot, corn husk, leaves. Whatever.
now I like your mind set as to wadding. and remember that BEAGLES RULE!! you have a great pair there!

Specs are as follows
Pecatonica River NW trade gun kit made by meView attachment 110671
42" Colerain 20 ga
L&R Queen Anne Lock

50 grain 2f
Wasp nest wadding
1 oz #6

That sounds like a blast! I’ve only ever hunted with dogs twice in my life. Once was for a wild boar in South America and another was pheasant in Oregon. Great pictures!

Back