• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Horse pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dughall

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi there
I'd be grateful for some help in identifying this percussion pistol which belongs to my father.

While it looks like a Tower horse pistol, there are no marks on it whatsoever.

Bore is 20mm (.79 inch).
Overall length is 403mm (15.89 inches)
Ramrod is metal
Stock is walnut.

My father has had it for around 50 years and got it in Scotland.

Any help appreciated - thank you!View attachment 72253

IMG_20210409_140737814.jpg
IMG_20210409_140820229_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210409_140839511.jpg
IMG_20210409_140854208.jpg
IMG_20210409_140737814.jpg
IMG_20210409_140820229_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210409_140839511.jpg

Please make all the images horizontal - I've mentioned this three or four times in the last week, and I'm tired of getting a cricked neck from looking at an interesting gun from an unfamiliar angle.

Have you ever taken the barrel out of the stock to see if there are any stamps underneath the barrel?

Apologies for that. I'm quite new to forums but am grateful for that tip. I'll see if I can make an edit.

That's a good idea - I'll see if my father will allow me to remove the barrel. Thanks!

The pistol appears to be well made. I would expect a firearm from Scotland to have some visible markings of proof on the barrel. The side plate looks familiar. I just can't name where I recognize the pattern. There is that crack in the stock on the side plate side. You may want to do some conservation work there.

You can only make edits for about 20 minutes.

Looks very similar to one of the British trade pistols of the 1840-60 period. But, as mentioned, there should be some type of marks on the barrel. A look under the bottom of the barrel might give you a clue as mentioned.

Rick

It is heavy enough to have been intended as a holster pistol, but the absence of a captive ramrod, commonly seen on pistols carried on a horse, is worrying. The barrel is held in with tapered pins, and I'd suggest that you get somebody with the proper fitting pin punch to remove them. Doing it wrongly - that is, trying to take them out from the wrong side - will certainly damage that already fragile stock. They usually come out from right to left of the stock as you look down on it with the muzzle pointing away from you. If you look carefully you will see that one 'head' is larger than the other - use the punch on the thin end - VERY gently.

@rickystl - obtaining it in Scotland does not necessarily mean that is originated in Scotland - TBH, I'd be very surprised if it did so.

I can be of no help in identifying this pistol, but I would like to say it appears to be well made, and well preserved. It is interesting to me because it is obviously original percussion (not a conversion), but the overall style and lines of this piece hark back to the flintlock era. It does appear to be a martial arm of some sort, or at least one intended for defensive use. After the single available shot has been fired, the gun could be reversed and grasped by the muzzle for use as a club. The reinforced butt would serve well for that purpose.

Also, while I agree that horizontal photos are easier to view, the actual images displayed are of very good quality overall. Good pictures make for a much more enjoyable post. Thank you!

Notchy Bob

IMO, the stock (especially the butt treatment) looks like an English flintlock martial pistol - so, maybe converted from flintlock ignition to a percussion ignition ?

IMO, the stock (especially the butt treatment) looks like an English flintlock martial pistol - so, maybe converted from flintlock ignition to a percussion ignition ?
Certainly doesn't look like a flint conversion. No signs of feather spring retaining screw or blocked hole for either the hammer pivot screw or cut out in the stock where a cock would fall on the top of the lockplate .Quality looks pretty good though. You definately need the barrel out to find proof marks or barrel filers name/initials.. OLD DOG..

Back