• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hornady GP conical with felt over powder wad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came to this forumn 7 yrs ago same question hundreds of wild hogs since and some great accuracy if you havent treied it give it a shot some recomend if you are shooting 50 cal get .54 cal wads 54 get .58 i just get the same caliber wonder wad

I came to this forumn 7 yrs ago same question hundreds of wild hogs since and some great accuracy if you havent treied it give it a shot some recomend if you are shooting 50 cal get .54 cal wads 54 get .58 i just get the same caliber wonder wad
That’s awesome!!! I’m glad it worked for you. I did order both 50 and 54 wads to try. Hopefully that does the trick!

Thank you for the clarification. That makes a lot more sense to me than it being used as a gas seal. I will have to try both a wad and cornmeal and compare those results. I’ve gone through and made sure there is no lead. I built this rifle from a kit and it was in good shape to begin with, but I’ve yet to find the combo that makes it sing. I will scrub it again with lead removing solvent just to make extra certain (can’t hurt to be really clean). I have some wads on order from TOW. Who knows, maybe the use of a wad will allow good accuracy with the TC maxi-ball as well.
Durafelt /make your own using cheap hole punch sets (multi sizes ) maybe $15.00 per set and make thousands whenever you need ! I'm big on Bear oil for lubed/Ed

I was using the 250gr. They were cast by Kootanai Cartridge over here in Couer D’Alene and sold at one of our local sporting goods shops. I picked some up to try and found they shot the best. He passed away last year and I may have bought the last box. The few I have left are not of good quality- misformed, air pockets, dents. I lubed them with TC’s bore butter just prior to being loaded ( what a mess in warm weather). I agree, the good old round ball has taken a lot of game throughout history and I should probably give it more credit. I really like, and trust, a PRB for deer. I’d be more comfortable with a larger caliber round ball for elk, I think. Here in Idaho, we have some of the strictest muzzleloading laws in the country. Paper patched bullets are forbidden. Round balls or slugs must be of pure lead and within .010” of the bore diameter. No sabots. Patched round ball or naked conicals are ok.
Once the wads show up I’ll get to the range and see if it shows improvement with a wad using various conicals. Thank you for your offer, I greatly appreciate it. This may be the venture that finally pushes me to start casting my own.
No doubt the 50 cal Lyman Great Plains works to 200 yds in my 50/54 cal Renegades 1-48 twist using dura felt and Idaholewis (secret) lube / Also sell them to members here (They like them)/Ed

If you decide you need a few of the REAL in both weights before you decide to buy a mold, pot, and pile of lead, let me know. I eventually want to track down some of the hollow base molds, this might be really good in my air rifle (need .510 for it).

Need to restock some lead soon, think I only have 10 pounds left.

If you decide you need a few of the REAL in both weights before you decide to buy a mold, pot, and pile of lead, let me know. I eventually want to track down some of the hollow base molds, this might be really good in my air rifle (need .510 for it).

Need to restock some lead soon, think I only have 10 pounds left.
Thank you Sir! I will see what happens here in the next few days. I’m hoping to have a solution before the season starts here on the 15th. If I don’t have a satisfactory result with the Great Plains bullet, I will take you up on your offer. I greatly appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back