• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Horn Strap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My 12 year old daughter has been watching videos on YouTube about finger weaving. She asked if she could make me something simple. I need a couple horn straps. So, can anyone tell me what kind, size & type of yarn or thread I need to get her to make these & any tips to help her out? Thanks!

Book Friendship Bracelets by Camilla Gryski ISBN 0-688-1237-2 or Friendship Bracelets by Laura Torres either one shows the basic Weaving,As for materials?
Materials are more covered in Inkle Weaving by Helene Bress ISBN 0-684-13870-0 and has plans for a loom to weave the straps on!!!!

Develop a lot of patience.

Start in the middle. The the threads are easier to handle.

I found the Chevron pattern easier to weave.

Wool or hemp threads (cord) are easier to handle.

Look up tutorials for finger weaving.

Black Hand said:
Use Wool yarn for fingerweaving...

Absolutely, no matter what. 100% wool period. Hemp works as well as previously mentioned. Skimp on this and your work quality will reflect it. I do allot of finger weaving. Besides 100% wool, patience... lots of it!

Also don't use modern dyes... Sometimes people have allergies to the dyes, why would this be a problem? Your fingers are coming in contact with the material ALLOT. Not worth risking, plus wool yarn comes in every color you could need or want. I use patons 100% thick wool purchased from Michaels craft stores, It's not cheap though but again, to properly finger weave do not skimp.
http://www.nativetech.org/finger/beltinstr.html

Good resource

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the horn strap that I did with a diamond pattern weave. Wool yarn with natural dyes.

1883627288_530784af3f_z.jpg

You can see that I split the main strap to two straps for main horn and then the priming horn. I did this strap back when it was expected to have the priming horn with the main horn. Well, we all learn.

Ooo very much like, how many strands did you use total? I need to make a new step myself. I like the width you made the piece, with the diamond pattern, very pleasing to the eye and not overpowering.

The weaving was done with a total of 32 strands of yarn. Probably 72" long as the finished length of the strap is 62". The length is a bit too long and I probably should have made it shorter in the 50" to 56" length. The yarn was divided at the center with the 8 lightest colored strands going out to the darkest strands.

43261961704_6330e48ff1_z.jpg

The strap is 7/8"wide.

I like the diamond or the chevron weaving as it is easier to keep the strap straight.

Since I was going to have the two horns on the strap, I split the weave. Then at the end I split the weave to make a hole to attach the horn on the button.

30111971378_0a69906eba_z.jpg

That gives you the option to attach the horn with the hole in the strap or to loop the strap through the hole and put the loop over the horn finial.

I like the strength offered by hemp and the hemp strap was woven on a small table loom or could be woven on an inkle loom. 24 strands.

43932160792_efb1f00400_z.jpg

Does anyone have a place to get the right type of wool yarn? I can easily make an Inkle loom but the yarns at craft stores (Michael's) seems to be for hats and baby blankets.

Does anyone have a place to get the right type of wool yarn? I can easily make an Inkle loom but the yarns at craft stores (Michael's) seems to be for hats and baby blankets.
Keep in mind that Inkle-woven straps are too late for our periods of interest. That doesn't mean you can't use your Inkle loom to warp for a normal simple weave pattern.

I really don't know what kind you need, but these folks have some: http://www.wmboothdraper.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27&sort=20a&page=1

In addition, Lion's Brand sells 4-ply "natural' (which I think means undyed) wool yarn, if you are interested in dying your own. That is available on amazon and a lot of local craft stores seem to carry it as well.

Keep in mind that Inkle-woven straps are too late for our periods of interest. That doesn't mean you can't use your Inkle loom to warp for a normal simple weave pattern.

We have been down this road before. I’m no weaver but have read other threads on it with interest. Though Inkle Looms are too late for our period, many folks here have stated the straps woven on them are indistinguishable from those done on correct “18th century Tape Looms.” Googling that term gets interesting information including the following;

How to use them:

https://www.heatherspages.net/18th-century-tape-loom.html

“Fine Woodworking” has plans to make one:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/readerproject/2008/11/10/18th-century-tape-loom

Gus

We have been down this road before. I’m no weaver but have read other threads on it with interest. Though Inkle Looms are too late for our period, many folks here have stated the straps woven on them are indistinguishable from those done on correct “18th century Tape Looms.” Googling that term gets interesting information including the following;

How to use them:

https://www.heatherspages.net/18th-century-tape-loom.html

“Fine Woodworking” has plans to make one:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/readerproject/2008/11/10/18th-century-tape-loom

Gus
Gus,
We can see fingerwoven straps for horns but have yet to see a Tape/inkle-woven strap on anything from the period. Tapes were used on/with clothing and were relatively narrow (at least the examples I've seen). As a leather strap is easiest and arguably the most period, why not use what was common rather than something that is questionable at best....

You are absolutely correct that period "tapes" would have been much more expensive and a might flimsy as they were made with much finer thread; rather than yarn, hemp, etc. However, this is not to say yarns could not be used on a period Tape Loom as long as the slits in the board were made wide enough.

Gus

You are absolutely correct that period "tapes" would have been much more expensive and a might flimsy as they were made with much finer thread; rather than yarn, hemp, etc. However, this is not to say yarns could not be used on a period Tape Loom as long as the slits in the board were made wide enough.

Gus
I agree.
But do we have any examples of this having been done especially when looms were available, strap/back looms were documented & used and fingerweaving well-known in the period? I can't actually recall seeing any period powderhorns with woven straps (I vaguely remember one image, but IIRC it was after the Fur Trade period). Do you have any images I might add to my picture collection of documented/dated woven (not fingerwoven) straps being used for horns or bags (not replacements from a later period). I'd even be interested in fingerwoven.

Plate 4, Page 15 in The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch by Madison Grant comes to mind. That looks to me like it is woven and not finger woven, though it does not get that precise in the description.

Gus

Plate 4, Page 15 in The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch by Madison Grant comes to mind. That looks to me like it is woven and not finger woven, though it does not get that precise in the description.

Gus
The closest copy of this book is at the local University library, so I can't access it easily. Could you post a scan?

I see you don't understand who you are dealing with. I can barely do emails and scanning or taking/posting photo's is completely beyond my computer technical acumen. :( :D

Sorry, the best I can offer is instead of calling it a "strap," Grant calls it a "Sash" and states it is 2 1/4 inch wide. The "Sash" on the Shot pouch is even wider. `Grant has it listed near an engraving of Robert Rogers wearing a somewhat similar one and dates it to 1755-75.

Gus

Back