• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn strap attachment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
002.JPG 003.JPG
Select 2 groups of 6 or 7 strands for each side and tie them.

I'll post my horn strap attachments.
PA100039.JPG

The pink strap is finger woven and directly tied to the horn.

The blue and white hemp strap was woven on a tape loom. At the ends, I wove a slit to fit of the horn end button and to tie at the front.

Straps_02.JPG

Straps_01.JPG

I hope that you can see what I did to attach the straps to the horns.

Well I do sew on the front portion of the leather strap
HORN 1.jpg

But the rear portion I use leather around the staple, to that is secured a button. Then in the strap I've made a couple of button holes, so that I can switch from the length where the horn is under my elbow when wearing a hunting shirt, OR I can go longer on the strap with one quick switch and the horn is under my elbow when I'm wearing a thick wool waistcoat under a thick wool hunting coat, in Winter.

HORN 2.jpg

LD

I'll post my horn strap attachments.
The pink strap is finger woven and directly tied to the horn.

The blue and white hemp strap was woven on a tape loom. At the ends, I wove a slit to fit of the horn end button and to tie at the front.

I hope that you can see what I did to attach the straps to the horns.

Thanks! I need to learn to weave somday. I didn’t know you could weave a slit lije that. Pretty cool!

Well I do sew on the front portion of the leather strap

But the rear portion I use leather around the staple, to that is secured a button. Then in the strap I've made a couple of button holes, so that I can switch from the length where the horn is under my elbow when wearing a hunting shirt, OR I can go longer on the strap with one quick switch and the horn is under my elbow when I'm wearing a thick wool waistcoat under a thick wool hunting coat, in Winter.

LD

Thats a nice setup LD! Thanks for the info!

Thats a nice setup LD! Thanks for the info!
You're welcome.
I came up with it after several times going out to hunt in cold weather, and forgetting to switch to my "winter" length strap. I decided, "there has to be a better way", and came up with the button idea, and two positions. Otherwise, in the past I'd forget to switch, then when I got to the hunting area, I'd put the horn on over the thick layers and because of the short strap, the horn was up near my armpit. :confused:

LD

I'm really enjoying this thread and a few others that show or have shown pictures of horns and their straps. It's fascinating to see the differant colors used in making these straps. Some of these horns appear more than just a "functional" way of carrying powder in a drab horn. Were differant colors prevalent for certain time periods? Or was it a matter of choice and what was available?

As far as colors go, its a matter of choice and what is available. For my finger woven, maroon and rose colored strap, I bought natural dyed wool yarn. I wanted different colors than what is often seen and I wanted muted shades. For the strap woven on the table loom, blue and natural hemp cord was available, so that is what I used.

Were there not certain colors (purple,yellow ,orange maybe?) Which were probably not readily available to the common man back then, say 200+ years ago?

Agree, dyes and pigments have been around for a thousand of years. Evidence of them in North America have dated back to Prehistoric period and Asia even further. Sources are from flowers, stone and berries to name a few.
It would.not be an understatment
say that although not all recorded,that the primary opaque colors were available and like Grenadier says variations were developed by mixing them.

I actually was running a different thread trying to figure out how to attach a powder horn strap from Track of the Wolf to my horn.

That strap is not woven but has leather thongs at the end. Options?

Back