• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Horn Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint Lockman

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy all, I’m guessing this is a one off but I figure it doesn’t hurt to ask. Can anyone provide info about this horn? The area scribed on the horn appears to be Mississippi. About 7” in length. May come up for sale/trade soon, any ideas on worth? Thanks.

Attachments

• 43E225E6-D35F-47E6-81F1-1D29ABFC5850.jpeg
    43E225E6-D35F-47E6-81F1-1D29ABFC5850.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3
  • EE109522-7821-41E1-93D0-111D350A68D1.jpeg
    EE109522-7821-41E1-93D0-111D350A68D1.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3521237B-8C71-49F1-9BBA-1CB98B081EB2.jpeg
    3521237B-8C71-49F1-9BBA-1CB98B081EB2.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 8BDC9531-DED6-4D08-A75E-526CFAE9A6D1.jpeg
    8BDC9531-DED6-4D08-A75E-526CFAE9A6D1.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 0
I have no idea who made that horn. It's a nice one, though. I don't think I've ever seen scrimshaw lines that deep and broad before, so I would say it is unusual in that respect. I have some visual issues and couldn't make out the letters clearly. I thought it said "Maquakota River Valley," and I searched that term, but Google found "Maquoketa River" instead. This is evidently a tributary of the Mississippi, in northeastern Iowa. The name is an English corruption of a Meskwaki term, "Maquaw-Autaw," meaning "Bear River."

I thought I saw the word "Butterfield" on there, too. I found a Butterfield Creek in Illinois, but I don't think it connects with the Maquoketa.

EDIT: I took another look at the horn, and I think it shows "Butterfield Road," not a waterway.

Map horns are fascinating. I think they may be most meaningful to people who have some personal, family, or historical connection to the area depicted, though, and this may affect the value. So, maybe this horn was made by or for someone who lives near the river depicted on the map.

There is a state-level blackpowder shooting association in Iowa. I don't specifically remember their name, but they do have a website. There's a nice article and photos of an original Hawken rifle owned by one of the members on the website. You might look them up, and submit your question and photos to them.

Good luck, and thanks for showing that interesting horn!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I have no idea who made that horn. It's a nice one, though. I don't think I've ever seen scrimshaw lines that deep and broad before, so I would say it is unusual in that respect. I have some visual issues and couldn't make out the letters clearly. I thought it said "Maquakota River Valley," and I searched that term, but Google found "Maquoketa River" instead. This is evidently a tributary of the Mississippi, in northeastern Iowa. The name is an English corruption of a Meskwaki term, "Maquaw-Autaw," meaning "Bear River.

I thought I saw the word "Butterfield" on there, too. I found a Butterfield Creek in Illinois, but I don't think it connects with the Maquoketa.

Map horns are fascinating. I think they may be most meaningful to people who have some personal, family, or historical connection to the area depicted, though, and this may affect the value. So, maybe this horn was made by or for someone who lives near the river depicted on the map.

There is a state-level blackpowder shooting association in Iowa. I don't specifically remember their name, but they do have a website. There's a nice article and photos of an original Hawken rifle owned by one of the members on the website. You might look them up, and submit your question and photos to them.

Good luck, and thanks for showing that interesting horn!

Notchy Bob
I appreciate your thorough response. I do not doubt that you’re correct. One can gather that it appears to be a map of the area in which perhaps the owner lived, as can be seen by the word “Home” next to a depiction of a house. I’ll ask the person I received this from if they know anything more, as far as I know it was their late grandfather’s.

@Flint Lockman ,

The organization I was thinking of is the Iowa Blackpowder Federation. That link will take you to their website. If you click the "About Us" tab, it will route you to a page with contact information. Maybe they would put some images of your horn in their newsletter.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob
Thank you so much for the info, I’ll make sure to get in contact with them.

Back