• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Horn hole, drilling size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size hole is good, or better to drill the hole in the spout of the horn?
Thanks for your time, Robert
I use Ebony violin string pegs for the stopper. Get one and then make the hole fit the stopper!
Larry
1660487470896.png

I have found that you drill the stopper hole once. If you start with a smaller size drill bit and then go to a bigger bit size, you stand a good chance of splitting the horn. I found out the hard way.
Increasing the drill size is splitting the horn, because the flutes are not cutting, and thus the whole drill becomes a wedge. Drill side cutters also get dull, but usually don't get sharpened. JMO
Larry

Except for one of the immutable facts of life: "the prettier your horn stopper, the sooner you will lose it". DAMHIK :rolleyes:
When I made my first horn I remembered kindergarten (yah I can remember that far back!!!) Gloves were hooked together via a ribbon across the back and down the arms of a coat. I tether all my pegs with a hunk of leather shoe lace. Works for me.
Larry

I first make/buy a plug then put a slight taper on it. I then drill a hole a slight bit smaller than my plug. I then take a medium size file without a handle on it and put that handle end in the horn hole I just drilled and rotate it to make a tapered hole in the horn. I do this until I get the plug to fit snugly but not too tight. :thumb: ;)

Back