• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn and antler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding horn buttplates, I have shotguns that have horn buttplates and trigger guards that have stood up to 100 to 130 years of use. They can last a long time providing worms don't get to them.

Some antler is dry and crumbly (Moose) some is very opaque and buffs well. I picked up antler cheap over the years and had some sort of spatulated antler that when sanded and buffed looked like a combination between ivory and tortoise shell. Really rich looking. There was a fellow I would see at Craft shows that made small boxes, pill boxes etc and rings from antler and exotic woods. Extremely fancy. Some used the natural finish of the antler and some were turned and highly polished with fancy inlays. He had a deal with several deer and elk farmers to buy antler and was fussy about what kinds he bought because he said some was unfit to work with. I have a moose antler and it is indeed chalky and crumbly. I have some caribou and fallow deer and well as White tail. It has different properties for use in places that might wear. In addition, that pithy part may need to be stabilized. There is a special stabilizer available and requires a pressurized pot to work. For small jobs some folks just let CA glue soak in and dry.

But did they do it for bling or did they do it because they broke a part and didn't have the metal for the repair?
If you are referring to my comment regarding horn buttplates and trigger guards being used on vintage/antique shotguns, and other guns, it was intentional, particularly on European guns. I think a fancy polished horn trigger guard and nicely checkered horn buttplate adds a certain appeal to a gun. Of course that is a personal taste but the point is horn was used on guns over a century ago and is still around.

I built a poorboy once with a piece of antler at the top of the butt and a toeplate. Much easier than installing a butt plate, it protected the butt and looked sharp.

Just resurrecting this thread as I recently came across some cast away bones found while hiking in the mounta….KIDDING!!!!
But since I got your attention and on a serious note: a recent side gig to clear cut an open field behind some houses yielded a bunch of cast off soup/dog bones chucked over a fence. With help from my coworker we piled them up and I got to thinking I might take some to use for a toe plate, side plate, even a front sight (referenced in Foxfire) or whatever because almost all are pretty clean and big.

To a more specific inquiry: does anyone have some images they can share? Anyone worked with bone for these specific pieces and are there any tips/tricks to share? Anyone know how to age it a bit instead of “stark bone white”?

Thanks and cheers,
James

Back