• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoppe's Number 9

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of anyone ever using Hoppes #9 BP Lube for a rust preventative before. It does make a superior patch lube, though. I clean with water and protect with Barricade. I'm hesitant to leave a rifle loaded more than a couple or three days if the patch is lubed with Hoppes. This is why I use TOW mink oil for hunting.

For any folks NEW to our hobby, Hoppe's #9 is a modern solvent, first introduced to remove melted plastic from plastic shotshell cups that was deposited on the interior walls of modern shotgun barrels when plastic shotshell cups were first used with shells loaded with black powder and early smokeless powder. It was not and is not a rust preventative.

Hoppe's #9 Black Powder Solvent aka Hoppe's #9 Black Powder Gun Bore Cleaner and Patch Lube are NOT to be confused with the original product, mentioned above. :confused: Their product(s) with "black powder" in the name are meant for muzzle loaders and firearms that shoot black powder cartridges, while the original stuff is most assuredly not good for a barrel cleaner or patch lube with black powder firearms.

We take it as "given" that the black powder products from Hoppe's are the topic, but newbies might be confused, especially as Hoppe's tends to use very similar coloring on the labels of the products. :(

We now return you to the previous discussion.....

LD

I just tossed a near full bottle of it along with a few other things that were taking up space for no reason. If id known it's so popular I would have given it away!

For any folks NEW to our hobby, Hoppe's #9 is a modern solvent, first introduced to remove melted plastic from plastic shotshell cups that was deposited on the interior walls of modern shotgun barrels when plastic shotshell cups were first used with shells loaded with black powder and early smokeless powder. It was not and is not a rust preventative.

Hoppe's #9 Black Powder Solvent aka Hoppe's #9 Black Powder Gun Bore Cleaner and Patch Lube are NOT to be confused with the original product, mentioned above. :confused: Their product(s) with "black powder" in the name are meant for muzzle loaders and firearms that shoot black powder cartridges, while the original stuff is most assuredly not good for a barrel cleaner or patch lube with black powder firearms.

We take it as "given" that the black powder products from Hoppe's are the topic, but newbies might be confused, especially as Hoppe's tends to use very similar coloring on the labels of the products. :(

We now return you to the previous discussion.....

LD

One small thing, the original Hoppes #9 was developed to clean out the corrosive priming residue that was causing problems with the new smokeless powders for breechloaders in the early 1900's. Long before there was ever a plastic shot cup used with any powder in shotguns shells (a development from the 1950's) and while the formula has been tinkered with a bit over the years it is still meant for smokeless not black powder or it's substitutes we use in our muzzle loaders.

You are quite correct that Hoppes calling their black powder solvent #9 Plus is confusing to new shooters. I suspect they wanted to link it to their well known #9 cleaner in the hope people would buy the familiar sounding name. Really should have given it a new name in my opinion. Oh well I have had good luck with it as a patch lube and have used it for cleaning as well though being frugal I usually just use water to clean my black powder guns.

Seem like some are confused that there is two type's of Hoppes #9, the one for Black Powder and the one most used on modern firearms.
fullsizeoutput_87e.jpeg

I try not to complicate the cleaning process. The old timers would clean in a stream or lake, they seemed to get it done just fine.

A proper sized jag, patches, hot water, dish soap, MAP or MCS, then Oil.

Seems to me it would have made some sense if they would have dropped the 9 in the BP stuff.
I said that when they first brought out the Black Powder version.
They should have called it "Hoppe's #10" so there would be no confusion by either the modern gun owners or the black powder shooters.

Latest posts

Back