• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopkins and Allen Under-hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a $150 gun when new in the 70"s. As with anything, it's just a matter of how much you want it. It's certainly worth $250 in today's market.

Now, $150 will get you a nice used TC with a stock gnawed on by squirrels and a bore that says 50cal on the barrel but measures 45 inside because of the rust and corrosion in it.

Adjusted for inflation, $150 in 1975 is over $700 today.

Based on the pictures in the OP the gun looks to have been built and maintained well. If the bore is good shape it's worth $250, in my opinion.

I have an H&A Heritage Model underhammer .45, with tang peep sight and globe front sight. My father bought it in 1970. They were about $80 then. It's an excellent shooter with a .440 round ball patched with pillow ticking, on top of 40 - 50 grains of 3Fg BP.

I think your $150 was generous, and only if the barrel was excellent. What caliber and twist? Much less for anything less than .50 cal or conical twist in any caliber. JMHO
That would be the poorest advice I think I've heard on this site !!! Ever owned one ? I've owned 2 45 under hammers and one I spent over $700 on a custom birds eye maple stock and sold it for a whole bunch more ,both H+A under hammers and the ugly one I kept (not really) for hunting . Best part of squirrel hunting with buddies the beers afterwards won by barking (standing bet) and I do like beer . Aside from rifles I had 2 boot pistols again H+A 45 cal one ( used) a neighbor gave me and the other purchased BRAND NEW in the box on another forum . The new one never got shot but sold overnite $450.00 as I didnt need 2 . The one thing that stands out most is your ignorance on under hammers and there value , and I'm going back 12 yrs on my last purchase/Ed

That would be the poorest advice I think I've heard on this site !!! Ever owned one ? I've owned 2 45 under hammers and one I spent over $700 on a custom birds eye maple stock and sold it for a whole bunch more ,both H+A under hammers and the ugly one I kept (not really) for hunting . Best part of squirrel hunting with buddies the beers afterwards won by barking (standing bet) and I do like beer . Aside from rifles I had 2 boot pistols again H+A 45 cal one ( used) a neighbor gave me and the other purchased BRAND NEW in the box on another forum . The new one never got shot but sold overnite $450.00 as I didnt need 2 . The one thing that stands out most is your ignorance on under hammers and there value , and I'm going back 12 yrs on my last purchase/Ed
I like BEER too👍🍺

Anyone have any idea what one might be worth. Have an old local gent offering it to me. He said he built it from a kit in the late 70s and has no use for it. We went back and forth for a bit. How much you want? how much you give me? And so forth. I finally offered him 150 which he declined. Later on the day he texted me and said he saw one sell for 250 plus tax and shipping. Told him I’d think on it. From what he told me and two pictures he sent, it looks new. I suppose it depends on how bad I want it. But I thought I’d ask for opinions. Pros and cons on these. I’ve never had one and think it’s kinda cool.
bought a under hammer in .44 not near as good a shape as that this summer for 325.00 and glad to get it

Well I decided against it. The old feller decided he was going to keep it. Then a day later texts me and said he'd take 300 because he has a horn flask and some other accessories that "have to" go with it.

Anyone have any idea what one might be worth. Have an old local gent offering it to me. He said he built it from a kit in the late 70s and has no use for it. We went back and forth for a bit. How much you want? how much you give me? And so forth. I finally offered him 150 which he declined. Later on the day he texted me and said he saw one sell for 250 plus tax and shipping. Told him I’d think on it. From what he told me and two pictures he sent, it looks new. I suppose it depends on how bad I want it. But I thought I’d ask for opinions. Pros and cons on these. I’ve never had one and think it’s kinda cool.
250, id take that deal in a heartbeat.

I bought one at a sale years ago for sixty dollars. Needed some work and sights and the stock was carved with a deer scene and the forearm was split but I restocked it and added sights worked and shot well. The receiver had been drilled and tapped so later I put on a Lyman All-American 6 power scope and used it for ground hog hunting. I think they are good guns and 250 doesn't sound like too much.

Latest posts

Back