• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hopkins and Allen Under-hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what one might be worth. Have an old local gent offering it to me. He said he built it from a kit in the late 70s and has no use for it. We went back and forth for a bit. How much you want? how much you give me? And so forth. I finally offered him 150 which he declined. Later on the day he texted me and said he saw one sell for 250 plus tax and shipping. Told him I’d think on it. From what he told me and two pictures he sent, it looks new. I suppose it depends on how bad I want it. But I thought I’d ask for opinions. Pros and cons on these. I’ve never had one and think it’s kinda cool.

Attachments

• 37469D97-A221-48C4-80C4-5B399AFF053E.jpeg
    37469D97-A221-48C4-80C4-5B399AFF053E.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 832EBCBC-9959-4D37-A12E-AB698A8DAAC8.jpeg
    832EBCBC-9959-4D37-A12E-AB698A8DAAC8.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 0
Jappo

If the inside of the barrel is in good shape $250 is a very good deal. Your call of course. Pro's are fast ignition and very accurate. Con's are you have to pinch the percussion cap when installing or it may slip off the nipple. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your decision.

Anyone have any idea what one might be worth. Have an old local gent offering it to me. He said he built it from a kit in the late 70s and has no use for it. We went back and forth for a bit. How much you want? how much you give me? And so forth. I finally offered him 150 which he declined. Later on the day he texted me and said he saw one sell for 250 plus tax and shipping. Told him I’d think on it. From what he told me and two pictures he sent, it looks new. I suppose it depends on how bad I want it. But I thought I’d ask for opinions. Pros and cons on these. I’ve never had one and think it’s kinda cool.
Please buy the darn thing!

Jappo

If the inside of the barrel is in good shape $250 is a very good deal. Your call of course. Pro's are fast ignition and very accurate. Con's are you have to pinch the percussion cap when installing or it may slip off the nipple. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your decision.
I didn't think about the cap part. Thanks, I'll have to ask him about that.

I have one that I bought new over 50 years ago and killed deer, squirrel and bobcats with that fine rifle. Never had a problem with caps falling off and the nipples are a little longer than most. If the bore is good buy it and run.

I think your $150 was generous, and only if the barrel was excellent. What caliber and twist? Much less for anything less than .50 cal or conical twist in any caliber. JMHO

It was a $150 gun when new in the 70"s. As with anything, it's just a matter of how much you want it. It's certainly worth $250 in today's market.

Now, $150 will get you a nice used TC with a stock gnawed on by squirrels and a bore that says 50cal on the barrel but measures 45 inside because of the rust and corrosion in it.

It was a $150 gun when new in the 70"s. As with anything, it's just a matter of how much you want it. It's certainly worth $250 in today's market.

Now, $150 will get you a nice used TC with a stock gnawed on by squirrels and a bore that says 50cal on the barrel but measures 45 inside because of the rust and corrosion in it.
I say that based on what it is, not what it sold for. I have a better version of one (Blue Grouse). They are nothing special and are lacking in many ways.

You don't mention what caliber it is. At $250 I would feel that I got a good deal if the bore is in good shape. They are nice light rifles. IMO they point well.

Woody

You don't mention what caliber it is. At $250 I would feel that I got a good deal if the bore is in good shape. They are nice light rifles. IMO they point well.

Woody
Interesting. I find them much like a sack of bricks being overly heavy. The action is a big anchor, and I certainly don't find them to point well. Everyone is different, I guess.

I've had two, still have one. Both were/are excellent accuracy-wise and pretty well foolproof. Two quirks - the buttstock on one broke at the wrist when I tried to ram down a tight ball with a hammer (my fault). The first one had a tapered pin holding the barrel to the receiver. It was possible to drive the pin in backwards (hydraulic bench press needed to remove it). Both my fault.

Otherwise, they've been good guns. $250 for excellent shape is a good price.

I had one years ago. I put a globe front sight on it with a post inside the globe. Very accurate. Is hot it at our local
club years ago. It shot great.
And $250. Is a steal

Latest posts

Back