Hopkins and Allen .45 underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Have a local that builds these rifles. They are far too pretty to drag to the bush. Being as simple in parts and being a very accurate weapon they just never caught on. Is that because they was a target designated rifle? I wonder.

Reaction score
From experience ....if it's one with the taper pin, be certain you push it out and in correctly ...the wrong way will not make you happy. My earlier one had the tapered pin. Loaned it to a relative who decided to clean it before returning it to me...oh well.

Mark Herman

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had, and still have, a bunch of these underhammers and do a couple of things right away. I make sure they are set up for 1/X28 nipples which are far more available and use the long thread nipples that match the barrel wall thickness. Standard nipples leave a pocket that catches a lot of fouling that can cause at least hag fires if not misfires. On guns with a tapered barrel pin I drill the tapered hole straight through and use a roll pin. It is tighter and will not work loose through continued recoil. Mine have all had barrels replaced for use as target rifles or trap guns. They make a solid functional base for whatever your use will be.

Reaction score
I have one in .45, but haven't shot it yet, mine has the longer barrel.
I have in my notes that it was recommended to use a .433 RB with it, something I read on here at some point. Their bores tend to be a bit tighter than actual .45 caliber.

Reaction score
I can't help you with the powder charge, but I think those bbl.s were set up for a .443" RB. Btw, they were once quite common around here as Numrich Arms was/is not far from my home and was well known as a parts/gun shop years ago.

I have a .45 caliber Numrich H&A Heritage Model. I've always shot it with .440 balls and a pillow ticking patch. My father bought it in 1970 and gave it to me in 1981. 40 grains of 3Fg makes a nice target load. If I was going to take it after deer I'd bump the powder charge to 65 grains of 3Fg or 70 grains of 2Fg.

If you use tightly fitting caps they won't fall off.

heritage-model.jpg

It's fitted with a rear peep sight and a front globe sight.

action.jpg

front-sight.jpg