• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hope accuracy is good enough for hunting deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Muzzleloader season opens here in Tennessee on November 5...took my traditions deer Hunter...out to sighted in ... I had so many hang fires it was unreal... Did some work to the musket nipple and got to go an awful lot better I hope this works ... First Target was at 25 yards the one I pulled to the right to the hang fire 4 shot group.... The second target was at 50 yards and it really started to open up five shot group... One thing I did notice is the barrel fouled out I did open up more....

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_113044692_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221029_113044692_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221029_134335597_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221029_134335597_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
You killed a buck with this rifle last year, correct? Are the target’s above similar to the accuracy you had last year or worse? I’m no help with the hang fires. Not a problem I’ve had in many years.

You killed a buck with this rifle last year, correct? Are the target’s above similar to the accuracy you had last year or worse? I’m no help with the hang fires. Not a problem I’ve had in many years.
Yes I did kill a deer with it last year....it looks like it opened up more out to 50...but the 1st couple of shots were right at the bullseye...but when I would swab barrel with alcohol after 2 shots it would tighten back up some... I did not have to swab the barrel last year and it held a lot tighter group

What are you using for powder?
Maybe your pushing crud down into the flash channel when you swab the barrel.
When you clean up your gun, remove the nipple and push a pipe cleaner down through the flash channel to clear it.

If you don't clean your breach area well over time you'll get build up that will lead to hang fires. Not that I shoot percussion much anymore but I was always thorough to the point of obsessive about cleaning the breach.

I was pulling the nipple and pulling the drum screw and cleaning all that out with alcohol as well with the pipe cleaner... Oh I was using a musket nipple by the way too and I drilled the bottom of that out which helped with the hang fires quite a bit

If you don't clean your breach area well over time you'll get build up that will lead to hang fires. Not that I shoot percussion much anymore but I was always thorough to the point of obsessive about cleaning the breach.
Yeah... The way I was pulling to the right on the hang fires .... I don't think I could use a flintlock...I was really thinking about it up till then

Just from what you've said and what others have added, consider your first shot the all important one. When you load for hunting, clean out the flash channel and add and few grains of 4f from a flint pan primer before screwing in the nipple. That should help with any hang fires.

I know you're looking for tighter groups but you're first shot from a clean barrel is the one that puts it down. Check your bore and see if anything is amiss but if I don't clean in between shots with either Getz's, Rice, Large they start to spread also--- first one counts

Back