• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hooked breech to fixed breech?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A torch is the only way Ive found to break JB lose on things Ive used it on and had to file the rest off- not the quick kind but over night set with a little heat like a lite bulb. Fred :hatsoff:

leftsidetc.jpg

tcside1b.jpg

Here is the method that John Hinnant advocates ... set screws tapped into each side of the tang
into the hook breech of the barrel. :hmm:

Davy

That's an easy enough modification. If I ever find a tang sight for my Seneca, I'm going to try that. Thanks for the info.

The Seneca is my reason for asking if people really see much of a difference when removing the barrel from a T/C. Mine is right back on every time.

My T/C Hawken is not the same way and might benefit from fixing the hook.

CS

crackshot: Would it not be easier to glass bed the barrel channel of that T/C hawken with the barrel fixed to the tang? That would stabilize the barrel in the stock so it takes the same position each time you remove it and return it to the tang after cleaning. If you find you have a barrel that is accurate enough for long range target work, then drill the tang for those allen screws, and lock the barrel to the tang so you can use a tang peep sight. But, I know that barrel will shoot much more consistently if that barrel channel is bedded in glass.

Greetings All,

Paul's recommendation about bedding the barrel in an epoxy bed has much merit, and he is quite correct about improving the consistency of the accuracy level.

That alone will will do much to improve the accuracy level with the hook-on breech, barrel system. It will also improve the accuracy of the non hook-on breech system.

My preferred method is to bed only the the bottom flat and the bottom 45 degree angle flats.

The two side flats tapped over with one thickness of clear tape (like "Scotch" tape). AFTER the epoxy bedding has set and the barrel has been removed from the stock, the tape is the removed. This leaves a very nice, even clearance space between the side flats and stock. The small amount of clearance is barely noticable.

Since wood will move with atmospheric and seasonal weather changes, this slight clearance minmizes the effect of stock movement with its corresponding changes on accuracy, but still keeps the barrel reasonably aligned and seated in the barrel channel.

I have used this bedding method for a number of years for myself and others with excellent results.

I have two ---ine rifle used for the unlimited class of competetion (we cannot mention that name, you know) that uses a different bedding method. It has produced accuracy beyond anything you can imagine. The accuracy is so consistent from day-to-day and year-to-year that one would think a synthetic stock was being used.

I have reason to think think that this method is also appliacable to a traditional style rifle that would be used strictly for competition AND does not require provisions for carrying a ramrod.

If Claude would approve it, I would discuss this bedding method on the ACCURACY FORUM, the reasons behind it, and how to apply it to a tradition style competition rifle.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

ACtually, a friend of mine accuraized a number of guns and he did not attach the breaches. He just bedded them and the shooters had the "convenience" of a hooked breach and accuracy of the bedding.

I did not bother. I just built a full stock for competition and put the hooked breaches in the closet for special situation hunting. The Seneca was never a problem so it continued in frequent use without further consideration.

CS

John I second the idea haveing this monster underhammer ( ok the barrel is smaller than yours and its not at 50 pounds ...yet!). Might be of some help! Fred :hatsoff:

Good Morning ss1,

Thank you, but Claude has not given me permission to write about it.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMRLA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

John as long as you do not discuss the i&l&ne breech rifle specifically, but as a rifle generally, I do not see why you cannot discuss bedding methods. :hmm:

Davy

Claude, will you give john permission to tell us about his bedding method. Being able to bed correctly, would really help us with older eyes that have to shoot tang peep sights. Would really appreciate it Claud.

As you might have noticed, I'm not Claude, but I am the moderator of this area of the Forum.

The way I see it, we are talking about a method of positioning a barrel in a piece of wood with the use of a modern material.

I don't see how a discussion of this concept could violate the Forum rules unless it relies on things like rolling, swiveling or turn bolt methods of enclosing the cap at the breech to make it work. If it does limit itself to these strange types of apparatus, then it won't do any of us Traditional shooters much good.

This said, I give John permission to discuss the technique provided it doesn't get into areas unique to the unmentionable style of guns.

I am also sure that if Claude disagrees with my giving permission, we will hear about it. :grin:

zonie :)

Back