• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hooked Breech Lyman GP problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmraz1

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I just bought a new Lyman Great Plains Rifle.
I’ve shot a TC Hawken since the ‘70’s but don’t know what to do here with two barrel wedges.
The rear one goes in easy but the front one I can’t lower the front of the barrel enough to fit the wedge in.
I’m afraid too much may split the stock.
Should I sand the forward inside of the stock channel?
Maybe open up the lower barrel lug?
Help please.

Did it come out easily? You might have a wood chip or something in the barrel channel.
Did it come out easily? You might have a wood chip or something in the barrel channel.
Thanks, Tr
thanks, I did have a wood chip and removed it.
Better but still binding.

If trying different wedge positions doesn't help I would also try loosening the tang screw a little at a time and keep trying the wedge until it goes through the stock. This will probably lower your point of impact.

I have to play with the wedges on mine to find the location/orientation they like. When new I had to be particular about snugging the barrel down and back before trying to install the wedges. The fit is better now after a few mounts/dismounts.

On the first GPR i marked them front and rear and after a few years i had to take a brass rod and put it under the center of the wedges and tap the ends of the wedges. On my new one the wedges are now marked. A long time member from this site told me how to do it and i forget their name.

Last edited:
So I just bought a new Lyman Great Plains Rifle.
I’ve shot a TC Hawken since the ‘70’s but don’t know what to do here with two barrel wedges.
The rear one goes in easy but the front one I can’t lower the front of the barrel enough to fit the wedge in.
I’m afraid too much may split the stock.
Should I sand the forward inside of the stock channel?
Maybe open up the lower barrel lug?
Help please.
Some pictures would help in seeing how much you have to move the stock. I built mine from a kit and had to do some adjustment to the stock to get the barrel to fit correctly. Have you checked the tang to hook fit? The tang should not have any gap between it and the hooked breach when you hang it from the breach. I have some pictures showing the proper tang to breach fit. The first picture is what you might see if the fit isn't right. Also, check how the tang and barrel will fit without screwing in the tang. The tang may not be correctly inlet either. With that taken care of then do what Nameless Hunter did. Use an indicator to see if there is interference that keeps the barrel up. With a little judicious thought you can figure this out.

Attachments

• 20210911_105438[1].jpg
    20210911_105438[1].jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210911_105426[1].jpg
    20210911_105426[1].jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 40
Back