• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hominy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it once and failed, I've also failed at making pretzels with baking soda.
Baking soda has a PH of 9 that's the same as dawn dish soap. Dawn won't take the hide off your hands let alone the pericarp off a corn kernel.

The first time I tried converting baking soda sodium carbonate for pretzels it failed too. The second time I took the baking soda straight from the hot oven to the boiling water. and achieved a PH of just over 11. The pretzels were a success this time. They also tasted like they were done with lye and not baking soda.
I haven't tried making hominy since though, but, the baking soda needs to be converted to sodium carbonate in the oven first to raise the PH if you are going to have any success at all.

I tried it once and failed, I've also failed at making pretzels with baking soda.
Baking soda has a PH of 9 that's the same as dawn dish soap. Dawn won't take the hide off your hands let alone the pericarp off a corn kernel.

The first time I tried converting baking soda sodium carbonate for pretzels it failed too. The second time I took the baking soda straight from the hot oven to the boiling water. and achieved a PH of just over 11. The pretzels were a success this time. They also tasted like they were done with lye and not baking soda.
I haven't tried making hominy since though, but, the baking soda needs to be converted to sodium carbonate in the oven first to raise the PH if you are going to have any success at all.
Using baking soda did remove the pericarp. I then dried the kernels and had some hominy - didn't look great. I haven't tried to eat any since it is so easy to get a gigantic can from the store at a fairly inexpensive price and I dry whatever I don't use. This works well though I have discovered the dried hominy will pick up an off/rancid flavor with time - the last batch I did was vacuum-sealed and frozen in the hopes it would taste better.

I still think the PH needs to be higher. Don't they use lye commercially ?
I never tested the PH on my failures but I did when I suceeded confirming that I did indeed have a high ph.

I also have some thoughts on the rancidity. Try vacuum sealing or adding an antioxidant. Ascorbic acid maybe.

Got Hopi hominy corn from native out here and also good supply of native Blue corn to try on daughters 10 acres. See if it will grow in north Idaho growing season. Doesn't like Flagstaff, but does well up on the mesas north of us where natives grow it. Some will be planted next year both up on here land and down on mine in town..only 1800-2000 feet elevation so may do better than the 7000 ft here in flag. Hoping for best and working hard to stay away from GMOs. Maybe we should get seed exchange going here like the health freak tree huggers do.

Using baking soda did remove the pericarp. I then dried the kernels and had some hominy - didn't look great. I haven't tried to eat any since it is so easy to get a gigantic can from the store at a fairly inexpensive price and I dry whatever I don't use. This works well though I have discovered the dried hominy will pick up an off/rancid flavor with time - the last batch I did was vacuum-sealed and frozen in the hopes it would taste better.
Odd regarding the rancid taste. My boiled in ashes dried hominy probably doesn't much older than 2 -3 years but I've never experienced an off taste. I use it most often in Haudenesaunee corn soup and a mixed bean soup with smoked sausage. Very tasty.

Odd regarding the rancid taste. My boiled in ashes dried hominy probably doesn't much older than 2 -3 years but I've never experienced an off taste. I use it most often in Haudenesaunee corn soup and a mixed bean soup with smoked sausage. Very tasty.
What is truly odd is that the first batch of hominy I dried (about half of a large can) didn't get this rancid flavor but subsequent batches did. I stored the dried hominy in a tin or a cloth bag and neither made any difference.

You're right, the Van Allen belt. I was under the impression though that the International space station is below the Van Allen belt as well as all of the shuttle flights.
It’s why earth orbit space stations are in low orbit, 110-200 miles. Beyond that they get in to the hot zone. Their edge varies but over by a couple of thousand miles. However this too is a hot zone. Space isn’t as bad as the van allen belts but still astronauts on the way to moon or mars when ships are exposed to the full fury of the sun.

Back