• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homesteaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took a walk down to the edge of the laurel swamp, that I've been hunting for the last 20 years. I started to see orange tape on the branches. Now there is an old logging road not 100 yds. from the swamp. As i got closer to the swamp I see what looks like a barber pole. That's when I see what looks like a tent. Well who ever put this plastic blind there put about a dozen pieces of florescent tape around the tree. This blind has 4 sides and the top is covered, you could almost live in it. well being that it is too warm for me to take a deer so I am going out squirrel hunting. I hope this nimrod doesn't get upset when I start shooting squirrels, I like to hunt here because at my age 76, with a bad back among other ailments I can't walk too far any more. This patch of woods is only about 1/4 mile from my house. If I decide to take a deer I wouldn't be able to get it out if i had to go any further.

Took a walk down to the edge of the laurel swamp, that I've been hunting for the last 20 years. I started to see orange tape on the branches. Now there is an old logging road not 100 yds. from the swamp. As i got closer to the swamp I see what looks like a barber pole. That's when I see what looks like a tent. Well who ever put this plastic blind there put about a dozen pieces of florescent tape around the tree. This blind has 4 sides and the top is covered, you could almost live in it. well being that it is too warm for me to take a deer so I am going out squirrel hunting. I hope this nimrod doesn't get upset when I start shooting squirrels, I like to hunt here because at my age 76, with a bad back among other ailments I can't walk too far any more. This patch of woods is only about 1/4 mile from my house. If I decide to take a deer I wouldn't be able to get it out if i had to go any further.
Public/State land?

Beat me to it SD - if that is public land then the blind is probably illegal. Call the local game warden.
If it is private land - then did the owner give permission to either one of you to hunt there? Maybe the blind belongs to the owner?
A little more info on the "laurel swamp" please.
A little info for something similar - My brother in law bought 80 acres in East Texas - he found several blinds on the property - in really bad shape - so he removed them. When hunting season came around 2 more blinds showed up. He was distraught and was terrified to try and confront an armed hunter. I contacted the local game warden and had him meet us out there. He advised placing no trespassing signs and removing the new blinds since we had no clue as to who placed them. A few weeks later - another blind showed up. Game warden was called in again. They set up a couple of game cameras along the trail and one pointed at the new blind. They caught the guy. The game warden arrested him at his home. He claims he had permission and had been hunting there for decades. He went to jail for felony trespass and hunting on posted land. Let the local warden resolve the issue. They really are the good guys.

He claims he had permission and had been hunting there for decades.

This statement is a lesson for everyone (I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt he really did have permission even though he was probably lieing). We cannot assume that land ownership doesn't change. As a new landowner it's imperative to post the land, even if the state doesn't require it to prosecute for trespass. As a hunter, it's important to validate permission with the landowner every year.

I have a childhood friend that owned 80 acres just 3/4 of a mile from my house. As happens with childhood friends, we don't see each other very often anymore, but when we would run into each other, I'd confirm. A few weeks ago as I was walking my dogs on a public road that goes past the property I noticed it was posted as leased with the lessee being the signer on the posted signs. I immediately contacted him and found out that the land had indeed been sold by my friend to a relative who immediately leased the hunting rights. The lessee also told me he leased another individual's farm in the area, this one quite a bit larger. So two more properties in my area now off the list. But I'm glad the new lessee posted the property so it was clear there was a change otherwise I may have been trespassing and not known it based on the last 40 years of being able to hunt the property.

This statement is a lesson for everyone (I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt he really did have permission even though he was probably lieing).
In Texas you are required by State Law to have WRITTEN permission signed by the landowner or a valid property lease stating hunting rights, signed and dated if the owner is not in your immediate presence. Many leases in the state are grazing or farming leases that do not include hunting. Any person stopped by a game warden in Texas on private property will be asked those questions. If there has been no complaint the potential trespasser will be written a warning ticket for simple trespass and the game warden usually follows up by contacting the land owner. If the landowner confirms that the potential trespasser is actually a trespasser and wishes to press charges, the warden will elevate the crime to felony trespass hunting and issue a warrant for the individual. Without written permission, there is no such thing as benefit of a doubt. If it isn't your property, get written permission first. In the state of Texas a Game Warden has all the power and responsibilities of the DPS state troopers plus the ability to search private property when reasonable suspicion is present.
IE - they can search your car-truck for hidden game without your permission.

Recently, on public land down here it has become "the thing" for hunters to stake out a territory about 100 yds. square around where they are hunting. They get very upset if one "trespasses" on their spot. When the weekend hunt is done, they never remove their orange/pink flagging tape. It makes the woods look trashy just like the people that hang it everywhere.

Just knock on the door of that tent and have him haul it out for you.

Bud..........We're from the same state. I had a dream deer stand 35 feet up in an oak over a deep laurel patch. I had a buck come near my tree and lay down. I'm an old guy and felt blessed to have such an opportunity to hunt from a deer observatory. Deer would come and go all day. Five years ago , the DCNR clear cut my stand sight. I'm too old to haul myself and a 22 lb. stand up a tree , anyway , so time to reinvent my hunting strategy. I now hunt for the meat , so doesn't matter what deer comes along , if it's under 60 yds , I'm confident my .50 will win.. I have confidence you will win , also. Don't quit..........oldwood

Oldwood I have no intentions of quitting. I feel that if you have to mark the path to your stand with orange tape and then make a barber pole out of a cherry tree, you shouldn't venture into the woods. This woods is about 10 square miles so if you run out of orange tape how would find your way back? Well it is still too warm for me to shoot a deer as I process them myself and I don't have a freezer to properly cool it down. I will how ever continue to hunt squirrels . The area that i hunt squirrels is about 25 yards from his blind. this area is thick woods and where I hunt squirrels is one of the few open areas, I hope he doesn't mind.

Beat me to it SD - if that is public land then the blind is probably illegal. Call the local game warden.
If it is private land - then did the owner give permission to either one of you to hunt there? Maybe the blind belongs to the owner?
A little more info on the "laurel swamp" please.
A little info for something similar - My brother in law bought 80 acres in East Texas - he found several blinds on the property - in really bad shape - so he removed them. When hunting season came around 2 more blinds showed up. He was distraught and was terrified to try and confront an armed hunter. I contacted the local game warden and had him meet us out there. He advised placing no trespassing signs and removing the new blinds since we had no clue as to who placed them. A few weeks later - another blind showed up. Game warden was called in again. They set up a couple of game cameras along the trail and one pointed at the new blind. They caught the guy. The game warden arrested him at his home. He claims he had permission and had been hunting there for decades. He went to jail for felony trespass and hunting on posted land. Let the local warden resolve the issue. They really are the good guys.
Griz44 laurel is like rhododendron, the stuff that landscapers sell. It grows about 7 to 8 feet tall. It has green leathery leaves, the trunk is only about 3 to 4 inches in diameter and the branches start out at ground level. They grow close together. I have had to retrieve deer from them and had to crawl on my hands and knees to get through them. Yet the deer run full speed into them and never trip!

Latest posts

Back