• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Homemade box for my Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossyoak1957

32 Cal
Reaction score
Started this yesterday.
Made the box to look old to match the old look of the Dragoon need to find the correct powder flask to go with a .44 cal.Dragoon to finish it off.
The materiel in the box is a piece my wife's Grandmother gave her years ago heavy upholstery material from the 20's

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Started this yesterday.
Made the box to look old to match the old look of the Dragoon need to find the correct powder flask to go with a .44 cal.Dragoon to finish it off.
The materiel in the box is a piece my wife's Grandmother gave her years ago heavy upholstery material from the 20's

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I made a box for a 3rd model dragoon many years ago and still have a few pictures of the box minus the gun. I think this style flask would be correct for your box, but not sure if it would fit in it or not. Anyway here is the one that I built with some of the accessories shown.

box1.jpg

box.jpg

box2.jpg

As I recall the little nickel plated oil bottle came from Dixie and I probably bought the flask from there also. I do remember that the valve never worked very well. Nice job on your box and I really liked the lining you used. I agree you should ditch the screws and find some good, unplated standard steel screws.

I made a box for a 3rd model dragoon many years ago and still have a few pictures of the box minus the gun. I think this style flask would be correct for your box, but not sure if it would fit in it or not. Anyway here is the one that I built with some of the accessories shown.

box1.jpg

box.jpg

box2.jpg

As I recall the little nickel plated oil bottle came from Dixie and I probably bought the flask from there also. I do remember that the valve never worked very well. Nice job on your box and I really liked the lining you used. I agree you should ditch the screws and find some good, unplated standard steel screws.

Nice box!
got some screws today running up to Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop here in PA. tomorrow for a nipple wrench and a powder flask,will post pictures.

Wow! I really like your box especially the added drawer. Just wish I had the talent to make one for my Pietta 1860 Army. I really like the added "aged" loading data sheet. You really made it look old!

I love your craftsmanship. Could I ask if you could identify all the "bits and bobs" that get boxed with the gun. I recognise the shot, powder horn and cleaning brush but not a lot of the other stuff.

I love your craftsmanship. Could I ask if you could identify all the "bits and bobs" that get boxed with the gun. I recognise the shot, powder horn and cleaning brush but not a lot of the other stuff.
Nipple wrench along the back,the little tin with the duck on it is what my Dad use to carry his Nitroglycerin pills in for his heart,now it has 6 spear nipples in it,powder measure on the left,old tin of nipples,little deerskin bag in the upper right has felt wads in it,in the drawer the green cloth with the string around it is just a cleaning rag,the little round wooden container is a old fishing split shot container nothing in that yet,brown bottle is a old Hoppe's bottle,Grace gunsmith screwdrivers and brass hammer

That is a mighty well thought out, and nicely made box, food for thought, my 3rd model would like me to make one too!

Back