• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homegrown Relief Carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Want to get your socks knocked off? Do an advanced search for Davec2 and some of his work. He hasn't been here for a while, but his work is totally out of this world. That's appropriate, because in real life he's a rocket scientist.

Want to get your socks knocked off? Do an advanced search for Davec2 and some of his work. He hasn't been here for a while, but his work is totally out of this world. That's appropriate, because in real life he's a rocket scientist.
Dave Crisalli does amazing work and the speed at which is able to accomplish it is truly out of this world. He is also one of those guys that can do anything from guns to horns to all kinds of accessories and they all look perfect. :thumb:

He has mentioned that at times his work has him in the desert for months at a time, so he's probably out there somewhere on a rocket project.

My carvings are horrible compared to the great examples here. This is one where I tried to emulate an original carving.
Mine and then the original.
20210223_155802.jpg
frederick sheetz 123 015 (1).JPG

Both of the books Susanne put out are in my possession, purchased new, Don Eads and Dale Johnson both put out reference material later republished by Susanne, looking through them though I would not consider them as traceable, they are a great place to start from.

Your best bet is to get comfortable with the pencil and eraser, draw it out until it looks good to your eye, then put it down for a couple days and come back and look again, if you're still pleased then you can transfer to wood and carry on.

Looks ok to me, get some honest wear on the rifle and you may be surprised how it looks. suggestion go to your local craft store and pick up some French curve templates, makes it a lot easier to get the scrolls even.

Nothing fancy. Just some simple line carving on my Kibler colonial rifle. I took inspiration from a Kevin Blevins rifle I handled a couple months ago.

...and a walnut practice plate.

Attachments

• 20210129_084420.jpg
    20210129_084420.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210129_084352.jpg
    20210129_084352.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210129_084437.jpg
    20210129_084437.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20201115_153403.jpg
    20201115_153403.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 84
It's too bad the book "The Johnson Record" by Susanne Warren-Bicio is no longer available. I believe it was also referred to as " The Book of Lancaster, Carving Details for the Gunmaker"- Full Size, Presision Carving Study of Original Longrifles by Susanne Warren-Bicio.

As stated, it's a book of full-sized carvings, but pencil drawn and shaded to they can be copied onto new work more easily than from pictures. Susanne's website is no longer up. I don't know if Ryan at Muzzleloader Builder Supply would know if any are still available anywhere. Her books are no longer on the MBS website. (Susanne used to own MBS).
I'm still here guys! Just stumbled across your site here. Am working on some new stuff for another future book release. Its important, hopefully be my legacy. It's on the Golden Mean; exactly how they did it, and why. Reckon our modern masters still don't want that taught or shared. These books y'all are talking about above are still available too. I don't have current replacement costs, and shipping either, but always glad to help. I do still have some ready to ship. Just couldn't afford to advertise. It would have to be by check or money order; and, I have no idea what shipping would be these days, but If you're interested, my email is still [email protected]. Just give me a holler.

Susie

I didn't do it but may give you some ideas the Eagle is carved on both sides

Attachments

• SDC11788.JPG
    SDC11788.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • SDC11787.JPG
    SDC11787.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • SDC11786.JPG
    SDC11786.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
All you folks are waaay too modest - also waaaay over my pay grade.

Very nice work, all... :)

Back