• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Home made wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody else use these? I’ve been using them quite a while. Mine dissipate upon leaving the muzzle l and have never been a fire hazard for me. Work good too.

Now is the time of year I go collecting then.
Never have used them but might give it a try.

Wayne/Al,

Good morning!

I find the ones that are around the sizes of a pidgeon egg or a guinea egg work nice as you can wad up and push the whole nest down. One over powder. One over shot. Instead of tearing off a portion from a larger nest. So harvest them all.

Like these. (Buckle for scale. Inside for 1 3/4” strap).

Einsiedler

I have been making card wads for my 12 Ga SxS for years using poster board from a local printing company. Went there yesterday and they no longer carry it. Seems everyone is going to a laminated foam and plastic. I went to Hobby Lobby and found cork sheeting that’s about the right thickness and plan on giving it a try.Just wonder if anyone else has tried cork and if there’s any negatives for using it.

I have personally found like others leather remains king in this regard... NO FOAM OR PLASTIC, not a traditional material and obviously we have enough litter problems in the world. I made my wad punch a few years ago that I heat treated and it has punched 100's of deer hide wads. Nice go on the paper wasp nests, use them as well!

I've been using wasp's nests for years in my smoothbores with no problems. When I'm loading up for hunting, where the load might be there for some time, I like to pinch off a piece of nest and put it between the powder and wad. Good stuff...

I bought 1000 overpowder and 1000 overshot wads for $10.00 a pack. I was going to make my own but for a penny a piece I didn't see the need. I got them from a local vendor who sets up at monthly match. I'll get the name from package as soon as I go to the garage.
Probably CIRCLE FLY wads

I have used these Circle Fly card wads and are not impressed they are for cartridge guns the over shot wad is a dangerous wad it is so thin and easily be by passed the ramrod and left on the bore wall and thus becomes a obstruction . I prefer to cut my own
Feltwad

I make card wads out of the wax board material from 1/2 gallon orange juice containers for use with revolvers.
Some brands of OJ cartons are thicker than others.

P1060004a25%.JPG
P1070015a66%.JPG
P1070012a75%.JPG

I make wads out of durafelt 1/4" hard wool felt and then soak it in melted lube. Overshot cards I punch out from 12 pack soda boxes, cereal boxes etc.

Wayne/Al,

Good morning!

I find the ones that are around the sizes of a pidgeon egg or a guinea egg work nice as you can wad up and push the whole nest down. One over powder. One over shot. Instead of tearing off a portion from a larger nest. So harvest them all.

Like these. (Buckle for scale. Inside for 1 3/4” strap).

Einsiedler
Einsiedler,
For a Hermit it seems like you're quite the wasp nest whisperer!! LOL
That first pic is quite the haul!!
I've been wanting to try this wadding out but only have 2 that are the bird egg size.
Need to collect more just have to get out there and locate the nests.
Any suggestions to finding them other than the obvious.
Any of them high up in the trees are hard to get at without a cherry picker!!

Einsiedler,
For a Hermit it seems like you're quite the wasp nest whisperer!! LOL
That first pic is quite the haul!!
I've been wanting to try this wadding out but only have 2 that are the bird egg size.
Need to collect more just have to get out there and locate the nests.
Any suggestions to finding them other than the obvious.
Any of them high up in the trees are hard to get at without a cherry picker!!
Barn rafters, a really good place to look. Ask me how I know.

Working in a food service ware house has its advantages, card board slip sheets, all thickness and types. Corrugated and solid stock up to 1/8 inch thick. All I need to do is ask permission before I throw one in the truck. It just winds up in the recycling compactor otherwise. Besides making wads for my smoothies, I never have trouble finding matierial for gunstockers patterns.
BJH

Working in a food service ware house has its advantages, card board slip sheets, all thickness and types. Corrugated and solid stock up to 1/8 inch thick. All I need to do is ask permission before I throw one in the truck. It just winds up in the recycling compactor otherwise. Besides making wads for my smoothies, I never have trouble finding matierial for gunstockers patterns.
BJH
Has anyone had trouble with a 5/8" punch cutting wads that seem too small for the bore of a .62 caliber?
I'm just getting started cutting my own and I've started with leather to try out LeLoup's method and they seem small.
Is 3/4" a safer bet?

Good morning Sicilian Longhunter and other posters!

As Shane mentioned Barn rafters. Good spot. I live in fever infested lowlands/creekbottom and there is never a shortage of nests in brush, under porchdecks, pump houses, etc. Always keep a clear eye when Im in the woods. And collect after a freeze. For obvious reasons. If they are within reach of my wiping stick or walking staff I can knock them down.

May all your shots be true!

Einsiedler

For my 12 gauge SxS, I use the common paper dime wrapper as the shot cup. A dime wrapper (like you fill with dimes to take to the bank) is the perfect size for 12 gauge. I cut to the length I commonly use for either one ounce or 1 1/4 ounce, seal one end, then push into the muzzle. I fill with shot and put a wad on top and ram the whole thing home.

Good morning Sicilian Longhunter and other posters!

As Shane mentioned Barn rafters. Good spot. I live in fever infested lowlands/creekbottom and there is never a shortage of nests in brush, under porchdecks, pump houses, etc. Always keep a clear eye when Im in the woods. And collect after a freeze. For obvious reasons. If they are within reach of my wiping stick or walking staff I can knock them down.

May all your shots be true!

Einsiedler
Einsiedler,
Thanks for the tip!!
I may have to take a trek down by what they call a Bosque out west which is a creek bottom lined with trees.
I can scout the tree tops and see what I can turn up.

The Sicilian

I guess this is only for those of us up north, but felt boot liners eventually get worn and the soles get compressed. I punch wads out of the sides of worn felt boot liners and soak them in melted beeswax/olive oil mix. They compress in the bore nicely.

I guess this is only for those of us up north, but felt boot liners eventually get worn and the soles get compressed. I punch wads out of the sides of worn felt boot liners and soak them in melted beeswax/olive oil mix. They compress in the bore nicely.
Rex,
Where is that you hail from?
There has to be a point in time where they die off of a nest even in the south

A caution note on the felt boot liners. I had some from a pair of 30+ year old caulk boots. Thinking they were all wool felt I punched some wads out of them and they shot great for the few times I tried them at targets.

When I went to clean it was a bit more of a chore than usual. The only thing different was those wads so I stuck a match to one and sure enough part of it would burn to ash and part turned into hard plastic goo. I suspect some of the liners are 100% wool but some have additives,

Back