• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home made shotgun wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since your new to smooth bore. There is a fire hazard when using some materials for wadding. I won’t use paper for that reason. Cardboard. Felt. Leather are ok. I use leather for a ridged over shot card. Check out the “ SkyChief” load. Works well for many shooters. Search for it on this forum. Have fun
FUNNY it reminds me.... this anti gun nut was screaming at us going duck hunting walking in when it was a dry fall...WHATYA DOING? HE holloring over n over ..you,ll set the woods afire.

I'm 22 and it's 1970. Bought a kit from Dixie Gun Works and put a cheap 20 ga together. First time I went out duck hunting with my Dad I fired at a duck on the wing.Missed the duck but Dad started yelling at me because I used toilet paper for the wadding. He said "you kill them with pellets not burning embers".

I'm 22 and it's 1970. Bought a kit from Dixie Gun Works and put a cheap 20 ga together. First time I went out duck hunting with my Dad I fired at a duck on the wing.Missed the duck but Dad started yelling at me because I used toilet paper for the wadding. He said "you kill them with pellets not burning embers".

As good fortune would have it , i lucked into a 12 ga. T/C Tree Hawk !!!! O.K. , education time ! Due to no shot cup , is "copper-plated" shot safe to use ? Are shot cups safe to use in this muzzle loader ? If so , how will they affect pressures ? Where do you home manufacturers get your virgin wool felt for making lubed wads ? Where do you get your cutter ?? All answers and leads appreciated !!!!
I have used1.5 ozs of copper coated #4 shot and a shot cup with punched out cardboard wads over shot for years and have killed many turkeys with 80 hrs of pyrodex select Thru my knight tk2000 my barrel is shinier than a new dime ....!!

As good fortune would have it , i lucked into a 12 ga. T/C Tree Hawk !!!! O.K. , education time ! Due to no shot cup , is "copper-plated" shot safe to use ? Are shot cups safe to use in this muzzle loader ? If so , how will they affect pressures ? Where do you home manufacturers get your virgin wool felt for making lubed wads ? Where do you get your cutter ?? All answers and leads appreciated !!!!
in a pinch. 2 squares of toilet paper work just fine, but they leave a bit of confetti behind on the range,

Well, I just threw a roll of toilet paper in the range bag to test out. I'm about to go look for a scrap bit of leather. I won't make any guarantee's about doing my test this weekend. It would probably be Sunday, and we have a snow storm predicted 1"-3". If it isn't too horrible, I will shoot in that. If it turns out to be a rain downpour, I may not.

I haven't tried felt wads but for cutting patches for my rifles I use the correct size hole saw with the teeth ground off and the edge sharpened. I spin it my drill press. It will cut multiple layers of cloth as fast as I can move the material under the quill and lower the handle. I use a block of wood of course to run the cutter against. Tomorrow I may try using kapok in my 20 gauge for round balls. Log Cabin Shop had a good assortment of shotgun wads the last time I looked.

Back