• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Home Made Shooting Accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first powder horn that I made from a cow horn a friend gave me. I used an awl to scratch the patterns and rubbed in India ink for color. The plug is a deer antler tip.

Attachments

• D83FE4A5-32A7-4024-BFE1-4C6BBA2778DF.jpeg
    D83FE4A5-32A7-4024-BFE1-4C6BBA2778DF.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 26C80172-3B2B-426B-9C4B-4F1919851B8F.jpeg
    26C80172-3B2B-426B-9C4B-4F1919851B8F.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 118
  • AF4794CC-2554-4AC7-9DD9-21E358892B74.jpeg
    AF4794CC-2554-4AC7-9DD9-21E358892B74.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 115
Good looking horn! What kind of gun are you building?
I’m starting on my 2nd build of a half stock 54 cal. in cherry. It will be similar to my 1st one I did in walnut in the building forum that I mistakenly called a “hawken” 😅
it’s just a conglomeration of CVA mountain rifle and hawken parts in a new slimmer stock.

Attachments

• FFF6741C-C62F-40EE-A2FC-644587AED6F6.jpeg
    FFF6741C-C62F-40EE-A2FC-644587AED6F6.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 109
  • B2299202-C670-4006-852C-C1D1D227F3DE.jpeg
    B2299202-C670-4006-852C-C1D1D227F3DE.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 102
So, I'm retired, disabled and on a fixed income but do enjoy shooting, especially black powder. I also like to work with wood so I incorporated the two to save some money. Using scrap wood in the shop, a piece of leftover nylon ramrod and a little imagination I made my loading boards for .50 & .54 cal. round ball, short starters and powder measures from 60 - 90 grains. View attachment 35846View attachment 35841View attachment 35842View attachment 35843View attachment 35844View attachment 35845
Here's a couple things I've made and I'm in the process of making for my black powder addiction.
KIMG1569.JPG
KIMG1570.JPG

This is a collapsible gun rest for working on and cleaning the gun.
It's made of all scrap, cost?
$0
17072.jpeg
17074.jpeg

Load assist made from scrap. Works great. It's like an extra pair of hands.
My latest project is ongoing.
It's a very comprehensive loading and cleaning range box
KIMG0753.JPG
KIMG0753.JPG

Nice woodwork CapnBall! I like that box a lot. Unfortunately at my range we can't have a large box like that at the firing line, but that is a sweet setup. I'm in the process of mentally designing a loading stand for my (first) flintlock pistol, and I've also been toying with the idea of making a box to carry everything in versus finding and possibly modifying an old (antique) wooden tool box or wooden sewing box. The only stuff I can find at the few antique places that I've been to are junky ol' boxes with gobs of paint all over them, or too broken down to be useful, so I think I'll be building something myself. I don't have a nice shop like you do, but I have a few hand tools that'll get me the basics.

Nice woodwork CapnBall! I like that box a lot. Unfortunately at my range we can't have a large box like that at the firing line, but that is a sweet setup. I'm in the process of mentally designing a loading stand for my (first) flintlock pistol, and I've also been toying with the idea of making a box to carry everything in versus finding and possibly modifying an old (antique) wooden tool box or wooden sewing box. The only stuff I can find at the few antique places that I've been to are junky ol' boxes with gobs of paint all over them, or too broken down to be useful, so I think I'll be building something myself. I don't have a nice shop like you do, but I have a few hand tools that'll get me the basics.
Check out my thread "show us your range box" there's a couple seriously cool pistol range/ loading box's there.
Neil

I have seen some wood machinist tool boxes that look like they could be modified a bit. I'm looking to create an heirloom quality box that's finished real nice and fitted with brass acoutrements. I want it to look like something that was built in the late 1860s. It'll have three drawers, one for each of my guns and one drawer for just general gun tools.
Each drawer would contain a fitted tray for lubed ammo and caps along with any specific caliber jags. The top would be brass containers for some type of bore cleaner and oil, individual pill boxs for dry and lubed patched and disassembled cleaning rods.

I have seen some wood machinist tool boxes that look like they could be modified a bit. I'm looking to create an heirloom quality box that's finished real nice and fitted with brass acoutrements. I want it to look like something that was built in the late 1860s. It'll have three drawers, one for each of my guns and one drawer for just general gun tools.
Each drawer would contain a fitted tray for lubed ammo and caps along with any specific caliber jags. The top would be brass containers for some type of bore cleaner and oil, individual pill boxs for dry and lubed patched and disassembled cleaning rods.
Sounds like you have it all planned out! Can't wait to see it!!

Here's a couple things I've made and I'm in the process of making for my black powder addiction.
View attachment 36899View attachment 36900
This is a collapsible gun rest for working on and cleaning the gun.
It's made of all scrap, cost?
$0
View attachment 36901View attachment 36902
Load assist made from scrap. Works great. It's like an extra pair of hands.
My latest project is ongoing.
It's a very comprehensive loading and cleaning range box
View attachment 36903View attachment 36903

That's what its all about, ending up with something you need at $0 cost

Well, I can't begin to do the level of work all of you seem to excel at. My artistry talent bogged down in the 2nd grade. River cane makes great powder measures and don't require anything in the way of talent - my kind of work. Hand drilling antler/ bone is laboriously tedious, but the fun starts when it's finished.

Good thread. I like not only making the things I need but I tend to use some unusual materials The short starter in this picture is made from part of a deer skull just where antlers grow Polecat

Attachments

• PICT0462.JPG
    PICT0462.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 81
  • PICT0463.JPG
    PICT0463.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back