• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Home Made Percussion Caps Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
golden sky A easy to us lube for your aluminum, Get a can of JPW .The cast bullet guys sometimes use it for bullet lube. I put it on the pop cans .It's cheap non sticky you only put it on the outside surface that becomes the cap cup. I have used it forever in making gas checks.
nothing is popping up on google for JPW spray except Japanese Pro Wrestling

pictures please?
452CD2D0-F16E-4A90-9045-2643AB8E0B31.jpeg
05D4E8EE-98F1-42BD-8B31-A69EB46930C3.jpeg
0F40249F-34A2-418D-926E-0D1E401F54BC.jpeg
D458A9B9-7D73-40D9-899D-AFC3DBE6E643.jpeg
650524B0-58DF-414C-BC41-AD837B837E7F.jpeg

Use a drill bit made for acrylic. A regular drill bit will crip and crack the acrylic. Also be careful drilling around the edges. Slow and steady pressure.

I’m drilling two 4mm thick sheets of acrylic taped together in the pictures. I used a 1/4 inch drill bit.

This was for #10 caps.

Last edited:
that would be nice if you could add a protective sleeve or something to protect the open side of the caps contents from falling out

Well I made about 25 caps with the mixture and 5 with German caps. Tested them on revolver for firing and they work fine. The kit version is hot, I used a small pistol primer cup for each one, and I believe I can cut that down to half the next time. The toy caps worked fine as well but not near as strong, I put 4 caps in each cap to test. I did not have the Duco cement but I did find a bottle of Tamiya Fine Glue that I used for building some RC stuff. It seemed to work fine, and it has a very fine brush so it was easy to drop a drop in the cap mixture. I will test the mixture caps on real black powder tomorrow. Hope someone can use this link for the glue that I used. I also used it to glue the toy caps in as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-87038-Extra-Thin-Cement/dp/B000BMYWYC

Commercial caps cost money. Self-made caps cost time.

Unless you actually enjoy making the caps for it's own sake, or you really can't afford to buy commercial ones, then making your own may not be inexpensive. I enjoy shooting with black powder. The less enjoyable parts of it (such as cleaning the gun) are part of the expense for that. And in the past I did put substantial time into reloading for several different cartridges and uses of them. So I understand the trade-offs there. But in part I did that because I really enjoyed just the reloading itself. In terms of making my own percussion caps (at least as people currently are doing this), I view that as way too time-expensive, and my time is very precious to me.

For me, ... if I simply couldn't get percussion caps to shoot my black powder guns, I'd go in the other direction and either convert them to flintlocks or replace them with flintlocks. But that's just based on my own preferences. :rolleyes:
If these home made caps are igniting Pyrodex, real BP shouldn’t be any problem! AND , (my opinion only) with enough practice at making the caps for plinking, a person very well may get pretty consistent at making them ALL functional.

Even the .3mm thick is over twice as thick as you would want. .005 thick is .127mm. Keep looking though I'm always trying to come up with a cheaper way

Instead of a funnel, I made a scoop out of a coffee stir straw - the tiny stir sticks at the gas station - Cut a short piece, fold it over, and grip it with a pair of hemostats.

I'll post a pic later.
Check out the glass containers on the wall of your local PCP. The plastic earwax removal tools are perfect for this operation

I've tried a ton of methods for making caps. The 22 reloader kit, acetone and Duco is the only way to go for me. The priming compound doesnt fall out at all and It's also much faster than punching out nipple cloggers....I mean roll caps :)

This is a link to how I make them.

HAHA Do you also like to live dangerously as the utuber with a lighter in his cap making assortment.

I've tried a ton of methods for making caps. The 22 reloader kit, acetone and Duco is the only way to go for me. The priming compound doesnt fall out at all and It's also much faster than punching out nipple cloggers....I mean roll caps :)

This is a link to how I make them.

I was just going to post your video to my thread here but you beat me to it. Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back