• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Home made cap residue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine do not. I charge the cap with a very small amount of black and then insert the roll cap punch out disk with the black button facing the powder. The discharge of the main charge pushes everything out of the nipple. I fired about 20 shots this week and the only failure to fire was due to a dry ball.

BTW .. a friend told me roll caps don’t leave the red residue but prime all does …

Can I ask why any residue left by any cap is an issue or difference?
They ALL leave residue.
That's why full cleaning IS always an issue when using bp guns.(?)
What's the difference when home making with "roll caps" or "prime all"?
Ya still gotta take'm apart and clean'm don't ya?

Can I ask why any residue left by any cap is an issue or difference?
I was testing a gun I modified using different caps to see if they fired on the first strike.

I included home made caps in my testing.
I made a batch of prime all caps using a single roll cap to help hold in the powder so I could not tell the difference between caps that were made only with roll caps and those made with prime all. I had made them a long time ago and couldn’t remember which were which. The homemade caps left a red residue. Having asked my question here & elsewhere, a friend told me the prime all caps, not roll caps, left the red residue. They worked as well as any of the brands & sizes I tried with the gun.

Quick question. I’m looking to get the cap maker and would I be better off with the #10 or #11. I shoot multipe hand guns and long rifles. I really don’t want to make both sizes.

Quick question. I’m looking to get the cap maker and would I be better off with the #10 or #11. I shoot multipe hand guns and long rifles. I really don’t want to make both sizes.
I have the tool that’s called an 11 , It fits both pretty good especially because it often uses aluminum soda cans which is bendable …I see they do now offer a 10 but this is the first I’ve seen it.
The 11 works on Slixshot, Treso , stock Uberti & Ped shotgun ..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back