• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home Brew Holster for 1862 Uberti Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently made this holster for my Uberti Colt 1862 Police Pocket model, date code CA, 36 caliber, 5-1/2" barrel.

The holster is nothing fancy, with no carving or other embellishments. It is not a direct copy of anything, but just an amalgamation of ideas I liked from other holster I have seen, and with the buckle from an old dog collar. This is the only holster I have ever made with a cut-away at the trigger guard, which is probably a styling from the 40s or 50s, I don't know.

It doesn't show well in the photos, but there is a slight flare at the opening of the holster to allow smooth entry of the revolver into the holster, and is something I always incorporate into my holsters.

I used a welt at the seam to allow easy entry of the revolver, yet still allowing the holster to grip the gun firmly. I did wet mold the holster to the gun slightly.

I don't burnish or dress the edges on holsters I make for use with old guns (real or replicas). The holster has a neatsfoot oil (😮 😮 😮) finish, and I slightly aged/antiqued it.

100_7377.JPG
100_7378.JPG
100_7379.JPG
100_7380.JPG
100_7382.JPG

Last edited:
looks great!

I plan to take some classes at my local Tandy Leather this year

Thank you!

That is a great idea! I really enjoy making them.

I highly recommend getting this book (that Tandy sells). It tells you pretty much everything you need to know to design and make your own holsters. I bought mine in the late 80's.

100_7383.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice looking holster, and I love the lines, feel, and look of the '62 Police. Alas, I am now too fumble-fingered to handle capping them easily or I might be tempted to get one of my own.

Did you perchance consider a hammer thong to retain your revolver in the holster?

Thank you!

That is a great idea! I really enjoy making them.

I highly recommend getting this book (that Tandy sells). It tells you pretty much everything you need to know to design and make your own holsters. I bought mine in the late 80's.

View attachment 116471

One of my local Tandy Leather stores is great (the other one, not so much); I went in recently looking to buy some needle and thread to restitch an old holster, and they let me sit there and use all their class tools and actually showed me how to do it all (and only charged me for the supplies I used, i.e. needle and thread). I spent 3 hours there that afternoon mending two holsters, doing the correct stitch with proper guidance and oversight! So that experience sold me on taking classes there this year.

I recently made this holster for my Uberti Colt 1862 Police Pocket model, date code CA, 36 caliber, 5-1/2" barrel.

The holster is nothing fancy, with no carving or other embellishments. It is not a direct copy of anything, but just an amalgamation of ideas I liked from other holster I have seen, and with the buckle from an old dog collar. This is the only holster I have ever made with a cut-away at the trigger guard, which is probably a styling from the 40s or 50s, I don't know.

It doesn't show well in the photos, but there is a slight flare at the opening of the holster to allow smooth entry of the revolver into the holster, and is something I always incorporate into my holsters.

I used a welt at the seam to allow easy entry of the revolver, yet still allowing the holster to grip the gun firmly. I did wet mold the holster to the gun slightly.

I don't burnish or dress the edges on holsters I make for use with old guns (real or replicas). The holster has a neatsfoot oil (😮 😮 😮) finish, and I slightly aged/antiqued it.

View attachment 116453View attachment 116454View attachment 116455View attachment 116456View attachment 116457
Tom Threepersons is widely credited with popularizing the trigger guard cutaway (and other features) on revolver holsters he had made by SD Myers in the 1920’s. Forward canted, a 4-5/8” revolver could be carried comfortably and accessed by an officer driving an automobile. They’re equally at home on horseback.

Great holster--and fits the compactness of the Colt. If your revolver will be used
it needs a holster to protect it. Thanks for sharing your methods. I screen shot your
descriptions.

Very nice looking holster, and I love the lines, feel, and look of the '62 Police. Alas, I am now too fumble-fingered to handle capping them easily or I might be tempted to get one of my own.

Did you perchance consider a hammer thong to retain your revolver in the holster?

Yes, they are not easy to cap, especially when the weather gets cold. 🥶

Yes, I did consider adding a thong, and I have done so on other holsters I have made. I decided not to put one on this holster for now, but I could add one in the future, if I change my mind.

Great holster--and fits the compactness of the Colt. If your revolver will be used
it needs a holster to protect it. Thanks for sharing your methods. I screen shot your
descriptions.

Thanks!

Please let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.

I should have noted that I attached the welts to the holster body with contact cement to hold them in place. After that I drill the holes for the stitching using a 3/32" drill bit in my drill press so they are straight. I drill all of the holes, rather than use an awl or some other tool. Then when I do the saddle stitch (Goole will have lots of videos of how that is done) it is very easy and professional looking. I use a starred wheel to lay out my stitching holes evenly.

View attachment 116453View attachment 116454View attachment 116455View attachment 116456View attachment 116457
Beautiful, I'm working on a slim Jim holster for the same gun right now.
KIMG0622.JPG

Im learning something everyday doing this stuff.
Neil

Back