• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

holster?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Belt "frogs" were used by some navies, but the actual "holsters" generally were attached to the saddle of the horse. Most of the period paintings and accounts I have read indicate that most pistols were simply thrust through a belt or sash the wearer had on. Also we have records (and an example) of Pirates carrying pistols with a length of cloth (silk, in this case) tied through the trigger guard and probably worn around the neck or like a bandolier. (In this case, recovered from the wreck of the Wydah which went aground in 1717, the very first documented real "pirate shipwreck")

Those links don't show anything that's really original so here are some originals dating from the late 1700's to mid-1800's
1700's for a flint pistol - adapted from a saddle holster aka saddle bucket
flint-pistol_holders.jpg

1800's flapped double belt set
q434a.jpg

1700's for a flint pistol - adapted from a saddle holster
lck_side_hol.jpg

1800's simple and designed as a belt holster
flinter-001.jpg

LaBonte said:
1800's flapped double belt set
q434a.jpg
Thank you for the info!
These look interesting, any idea why they are shaped like that?...top of holster would allow pistol to flop around when not flapped?...or are the pistols not all the way down in the holster? :hmm:

They are definitely not all the way down in the holsters and who knows the pistols may not even be original to the holster and were only used as props....

As others have noted on this subject, most single shot pistols were carried in a holster attached to a saddle, or thrust into a waist sash ... not something I'd personally consider for a primed/loaded FL. Sea service FL were loaded and primed just prior to action and stored by the bucket full on deck where they could be grabbed and fired.

I've not seen evidence even small revolvers were carried in holsters rather than in a coat pocket until CW times.

Looks like gentlemen's/coach pistols were loaded at home and carried on the traveler's lap in a nicely made closed wooden box, only to be opened when highway robbers approached, or the short barreled versions were carried in one's overcoat pocket.

Unlike today's easily carried and deployed pistols, most American 18th - early 19th century pistols were just easy to pack weapons, employed as a back-up to your knife/hatchet/musket.

I seriously doubt the small cutaway piece of leather with both ends of the pistol exposed (shown in your links) represents anything that was actually used.

Holsters prior to 1848 were primarily pouches used to protect the pistol from dirt/rain and snow.

They usually had a flap that fully covered most if not all of the grip while the lower part fully covered the barrel and muzzle of the gun.

It wasn't until the gold rush in the late 1840's and the popular civilian Colt revolvers started to become common that the guns grip was exposed without a flap covering it.

These holsters that later evolved into the gunfighters holsters were often called "slim Jims" and they usually covered all of the pistol except for the grip.

Though a military miniature figure, this shows the double holster bucket worn by standard bearers in the First Empire period...1804-1815. Some English officers carried pistols in similar holsters or buckets.
http://www.art-girona.com/472-thic...e-guard-sergeant-second-eagle-bearer-1810.jpg

Cavalry type bucket holsters mounted to saddle.
http://www.stuartliliesaddles.com/images/saddles/1756page/1756LTSfrontbig.jpg

Flapped cavalry holsters,
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/Michael1787/CW1851pommelhol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the looks of the flap holsters for function, if i am seeing them right the pistol rides in them deep enuf where the wide part houses the hammer and the trigger guard and the flap covers all?...but from what i gather, a mountain man wouldn't have had such a thing?, wish there was some kind of nice functioning belt holster used by MM, since i dont really want to tuck thru my belt, or carry on a string 'roung my neck. Don't really plan use a saddle holster either. :grin:

The real problem is the lack of surviving samples. The double bucket type on a strap around the neck or waist would be workable but have no idea if any such thing existed outside Napoleon's standard bearer guard.

Zonie said:
I seriously doubt the small cutaway piece of leather with both ends of the pistol exposed (shown in your links) represents anything that was actually used.

Holsters prior to 1848 were primarily pouches used to protect the pistol from dirt/rain and snow.

They usually had a flap that fully covered most if not all of the grip while the lower part fully covered the barrel and muzzle of the gun.

It wasn't until the gold rush in the late 1840's and the popular civilian Colt revolvers started to become common that the guns grip was exposed without a flap covering it.

These holsters that later evolved into the gunfighters holsters were often called "slim Jims" and they usually covered all of the pistol except for the grip.

Actually, that type of small piece leather that just supported the center of the pistol was exactly what I was referring to as a "frog", and several Navies (including the US and British) issued this type to boarding and away parties, although it was not intended for long term wear or really anything other than a way of carrying it around for a brief time.

The first frog you posted from Traditions is certainly functional. Is it authentic? :idunno:
I own one. It fits most pistols, including many of the 1700's military style flint pistols, at least in the half-cock position. It's probably the only frog readily available on the market for American frontier type use. I wish it had a straight cut across the top, like the black one LaBonte posted above, instead of the S type curve that make it "look" more suitable for revolvers. But, the Traditions frog works well on your belt. Especially with the approximate 45-degree tilt which allows a ready grasp at the grip, yet keeps the barrel out of the way while carrying. Just my two-cents.

LaBonte: Thanks for the photo of that black holster and belt. Very Cool! I 'll keep a copy of that photo in my library to have one made like that. Thanks again. Rick. :hatsoff:

Back