• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Holster Storage of Handguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep my revolver in a Hunter brand holster, no problem. Have a generic sportsman guide belt with loops for cartridges. After a few years rain, snow , or shine the brass stuck to the leather but shot fine. I do wipe the gun down and don’t put it back into a wet holster.

I oiled my holsters when I made them and have never had any issues with rust, that being said though I found an old shooting bag that had a lovely green capper and an equally green powder measure tucked away in the back of the closet...

My guns rust from handling and sweat, not from the holsters they are in.

Of course, all my holsters are treated with neatsfoot oil and beeswax. They don't really hold moisture, and are, of course, a bit oily themselves.

If the holster is clean and dry, I've never had problems. Which I guess is kinda weird, since I can rust steel just by looking at it. I'm actually surprised that I don't get rust in a holster or on a knife in a sheath.

I would not suggest putting a gun away in a holster that has been rode hard and put up wet. ;)

The
I’m ex RCMP (LE) and left my .38 in holster 24/7 for 16 years and zero issues. Then carried my 5946 for another 19 years with zero issues but of course that was stainless.

Dave
The good old days of law enforcement when a 6 round capacity was considered enough.

Speaking as a retired Museum Curator, I would not store any handgun in a holster for an extended period of time.

Brass holster snaps grow Verdigris, which is the bright bluish-green encrustation formed by oxidation. It can also carry over to a brass frame or grip of a revolver. Once it finds a home in the leather (like around that snap for example) it is impossible to completely remove. It will keep growing back.

Leather attracts moisture which leads to mold. It also leads to corrosion and pitting. I don't know how many potential donations I examined that had the classic blue wear and pitting damage from sitting in a damp or moldy holster for years, buried in a family member's footlocker or sea chest.

Some previous posters gave some good tips. Periodically check them and wipe them down. I have also examined plenty of NIB firearms, some never assembled that were damaged from sitting in the box for years. The owner's thought they would remain pristine. They don't. You have to check them periodically.

Today remembered Hemingway's "Islands in the Stream". The protagonist stored his unmentionable Thompson in a sheepskin scabbard on the flying bridge of an ocean going boat. He soaked the fleece of the sheepskin in oil. Suppose it would work but that would be one slippery smg on full auto.

Did cow pokes in the old west store their firearms in a bag and just take them out for the ride. They must have figured this one out.

Yes. You tote your pistol in a holster, oiled of course. If anything gets wet or damp, you wipe the pistol with an oiled rag and lay it on the floor next to your bunk. (Any dry place will work) My great grandpa, grandfather, and father were all cowboys. Their pistols are in fine condition today. Gunbroker has plenty of examples of pistols stored in holsters and other less than ideal situations and the all over damage from neglect is obvious.
My guns rust from handling and sweat, not from the holsters they are in.

Of course, all my holsters are treated with neatsfoot oil and beeswax. They don't really hold moisture, and are, of course, a bit oily themselves.

If the holster is clean and dry, I've never had problems. Which I guess is kinda weird, since I can rust steel just by looking at it. I'm actually surprised that I don't get rust in a holster or on a knife in a sheath.

I would not suggest putting a gun away in a holster that has been rode hard and put up wet. ;)
My guns don’t rust. Not if I have anything to say about it. The blue is worn from holster carry and the grips may lose blue and varnish from handling, sometimes to bare steel. No rust though. I’ll bet yours don’t show rust either...

Back