• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holster Storage of Handguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had problems storing a gun in a holster or even an old leather gun rug (which you probably can't even get anymore, because they're so "dangerous"!).

I have heard never do it. I have heard it's ok.

Purchased a BP revolver with a gorgeous El Paso Saddlery holster which deserves display.

Opinions anyone?
Everything I have been taught about keeping guns stored in leather holsters for long periods of time is NEVER do it. I have seen guns that were rusted from being left in leather holsters for just a couple of weeks. Supposedly you can use car wax (not polish) to coat the firearm then keep it in a holster for short periods of time but I wouldn't take the chance.
Buy one of those display guns and keep it in the holster if you want to display the holster.

The best results I've had are when I coat the gun with Bore Butter and rub a coat of bore butter inside the holster. Don't store it in a damp environment, like the trunk of your car outside. After being outside, in the cold or wet, remove the gun from the holster, and let it assume room temperature (and dry!) before cleaning and storing in the holster inside; many say it's better to store the gun out of the holster indoors. I've hung a Navy in a leather holster on a bed post for months before with no problem. Your mileage may vary.

I don't 'store' guns in holsters but I do display them in holsters frequently. I take them out of the holsters from time to time, examine them, wipe 'em down, whatever. In terms of long term storage, no.
This Remington New Model Army displays in its holster almost every day. Almost.

IYk2MEEh.jpg

Ty27c1ah.jpg

Last edited:
Solanco,

There is an interesting 10 minute YouTube video that a guy gives instructions for preventing rust and corrosion for knives and axe blades in leather sheaths that looks to be applicable to BP revolvers with steel and brass components. Click on the link below.

Last edited:
I stored my gun in its holster once for about 2 months. It was covered with rust upon inspection. I think it was the hostler's leather tanning process. I have had no problem with the new hostler I have, although I do bore butter it after each cleaning.

Some tanning processes seem to leave some sort of corrosive residue in the leather and some leather care products contain water. I would be careful before leaving a gun in a holster.

I agree, some rigs seem to have more salt or something in the leather. I have one rig that I cannot leave unmentionables in very long or the brass will start to corrode and turn green and then I have other rigs I can leave them be for months at a time.
Vkcross mentioned bore butter, I have put heavy coats of lubricant on the unmentionables then put them the loops and that seems to work.

RM

I'v stored my Pietta 1951 (brass frame) in a Cabelas slim jim holster for about 5 years now. Everytime i pull it out its in perfect shape. Just pulled it out last weekend after being stuffed inside my back pack for last 10 months and still perfect. I think it's got to do with love. Hate will make your revolver rust no matter how you store it.

I keep an old CVA 1851 Navy in a leather holster have for years. It was crusty when I got it so I don't care.
I check on it now and again, and it's been loaded for at least six years.

I’m ex RCMP (LE) and left my .38 in holster 24/7 for 16 years and zero issues. Then carried my 5946 for another 19 years with zero issues but of course that was stainless.

Dave

I store a couple favorite percussion revolvers in El Paso leather, but El Paso uses high grade veg tanned leather and my percussion revolvers are coated in bore butter.

I say use them up and wear them out.

View attachment 77512
I believe "veg tanned" means "Tannic ACID" tanned. Acid anything (maybe not phosphoric acid) rusts steel.
I'd suggest just assume your leather rusts steel

Go for it! My shop made lots of money refinishing hand guns stored in the leather holster.

Storage can rot the finish of the gun making pits and rust. Some holsters do some don't take your choice your gun, your money. I am out of the business so won't make nothing if you do.

Latest posts

Back