• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holster Disappointment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, as you learn, things don't always turn out like you want them to. I finished my second holster for my 1851 Navy revolver. Most everything I am satisfied with except finish. This one is a lined/carved Mexican Loop (thanks to Swampy for the idea of using pigskin for the liner). For my second holster, I am pretty satisfied with the mechanics, but am getting unexpected results with my finish.

Anyone out there have experience using both Tan Kote and LCI Clear Lac in a Sheridan finish? I had used Tan Kote on a previous holster and ended up having it darker than a belt where I used Clear Lac. I did the Clear Lac path on this holster and got two different shades between the loop and the holster. ???? Any ideas? I'm starting to suspect the old memory problem and wonder if I left a step out on the loop. The Tandy store manager says the Tan Kote lets more stain through than the Clear Lac.

NavyHolster2Front.jpg

NavyHolster2Back.jpg

Well, I now have to find something to do with a second, not-so-good, 1851 Navy holster.

:idunno: :shocked2:

Sure your not just nit picking there?? Looks mighty fine to me, wish I had the balls to use a swivel knife like you do, I will at some point as that really sets these holsters off. :thumbsup: I have that tan - kote only used it on black dyed holster and thought it was to shiny... :idunno:

Hows the fit of the pistol with the lining?

leather is an organic material sometimes it will surprise you with what it does, IMHO I like the difference in color tones but might take a brush to it to try n dull it down a might but that just personal preferance, Ya done a nice job n I wish I could do as well,
:thumbsup: be proud of it --just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

If you don't want it I'll take it. Of course I have to go buy a pistol to put in it :rotf: :rotf:

The fit of the revolver is just fine. I really like a lined holster. I just don't like that much color difference between the loop and holster.
:(

My next holster will not have a Sheridan finish. I guess I am getting tired of the shiny finish. On the next one, I am going to try some oil-tanned, burgundy color leather I have and get away from the carving with a softer holster (probably using my own pattern and getting an idea from Packing Iron, Swampy).
:hmm:

My God man! That is beautiful. My '51 would give a lead ball to kept in that :haha:

Holy smoke... That is beautiful. The color... it all has to do with lighting. :hmm:

I have a couple of 1851's that would fit. Maybe they would make the color on that holster look better to you. :thumbsup:

Deano, In another life, I did a lot of leather tooling and still have all my 150+ stamps and leather craft equipment stored away in the basement. I have made a lot of both un-tooled and tooled holsters for the SASS cowboys and used exclusively Fiebing's TAN-COTE on all holsters and tooled rifle scabbards etc. I used the TAN-COTE only for a top cote after dying the leather. I also lined my holsters with pig skin, but only inside the holster and not over the belt loop, so two tone color was no problem.

If you holster people want a great book on old west holsters. Get yourself a copy of the book "PACKING IRON". http://www.buy.com/prod/packing-iron-gunleather-of-the-frontier-west/30255194.html?listingid=-1

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
After going to bed to read last night to read, before falling asleep, I skipped the book reading to browse through my copy of Packing Iron. I got it a couple of months ago and love it. I am searching it to pick my next holster to make. It is a fantastic book, with great pictures.
:v :grin:

Yeah ... I probably made 90% of the holsters shown in that book ( not the actual one's photographed), some, several times! __ It's well worth the money for anyone serious about making holsters!

Rick

Take a look at the holsters on pages 79/80. I'm considering making a variation on those. We'll see!?!?
:v :grin:

I'd like to echo what everyone else is saying. It looks wonderful!! :bow:

Sometimes leather that has been around awhile will get what they call "suntanned". When that happens it will never take color the same way a newer piece of leather does.
But your holster, which looks really nice, may even out over time.
Just as a for instance, I used two different sides of leather on this set and you can see the variation I got.
Ron

lastfiligree.jpg

Back