• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hollow Point Round Ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at the range shooting today, and was approached by an admirer of my SMR. I ws talking to him while reloading, and new better. I dry-balled, but saved face showing him how to pull a ball using my range rod. It got me to thinking about the hole in the ball caused by the screw. Could I use it for a hollow point?!:rolleyes:
I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. He said "no, better not. You know how things go sometime if you like it".

I am with Phil on this one, good soft lead will give you the expansion you need. I think it would be a P.I.A. keeping the hollow up and straight during loading and who knows where it will go in flight to the target as the patch is what contacts the rifling and imparts the spin on the ball.

The hollow point thing was just a gag. Yes, I know round balls are soft enough. I know a few deer that would testify, if they could talk. If I tried to seat a ball that had a hole in it from the screw, it would simply close up as I seat it.
Thanks for clarifying that. I agree with Phil also on the soft lead argument.

Here are a few of the round balls I've recovered from deer I shot. They expand very well all on their own without drilling any holes.

Digital-Still-Camera.jpg

The hollow point thing was just a gag. Yes, I know round balls are soft enough. I know a few deer that would testify, if they could talk. If I tried to seat a ball that had a hole in it from the screw, it would simply close up as I seat it.
I hate it when people pull the wool over my eyes…. Umph
👍😂

I think the ballistics on a round ball with 1 side not round would be iffy at best
Roundball will pivot to revolve around its center of gravity. Amazingly, a hole into the ball has very little effect on its accuracy as a roundball doesn't wobble for long because it can self stabalize

You know I hadn't thought about casting sprues. They don't seem to affect thing's much
Having sprues isn't much of a problem. Having an air pocket beneath the sprue is. I weigh all my balls, and reject all that is 0.5 gr. under the heaviest for small calibers. I will go 1.5 gr. on my .62 caliber.

Muzzle Blast magazine had an article several years ago. They drilled into balls then loaded into barrel facing each direction before firing for accuracy comparison. After several repeats they determined virtually no difference in accuracy.

Muzzle Blast magazine had an article several years ago. They drilled into balls then loaded into barrel facing each direction before firing for accuracy comparison. After several repeats they determined virtually no difference in accuracy.
Interesting. Do you know the issue?

I use a hollow point banded round ball on deer with good results. I make mine by taking a .495 round ball running it through a die to cut it down to .440. This gives me a "flat band" I then put it in my lathe collet and drill a 1'8 hole down 3/16. This gives me a bullet that loads like a round ball (The band keeps the "hollow point" centered) Accuracy in my 1/48 barrel is as good as solid prbs.

Back