• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hollow Point Round Ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TC used to sell a kit for creating hollow points in multiple calibers in the early 1990s I believe. Remember buying a number of these kits from WallyWorld during their after hunting season sale, as I would always but stuff up, many times at a dollar or less. We tried them, and they didn’t degrade accuracy, nor did they improve performance on game as best we could tell. That said, if you like hollow points on roundballs, go for it. In my experience, won’t hurt, but doubt it will improve things.
1652071507438.jpeg
1652071532410.jpeg

It got me to thinking about the hole in the ball caused by the screw. Could I use it for a hollow point?!

(iirc) Hollow point bullets came about after harder and harder lead alloy to reduce barrel leading was found to also reduce deformation. No real advantage if one is using soft lead.

I don't know about you guys, but I have enough of a task just getting the round balls to hit where I want, I don't need to add to the mix having to worry about making the round balls with an opening and specific depth. If a slightly larger than 1/2" hole going in doesn't do the trick, then I have an accuracy problem, not a bullet-performance-after-impact problem. 😳

LD

Not only do pure lead round balls not need a hollow cavity to expand, they don't need a lot of velocity...Most hunters today use way too much powder, thinking they have more power that way, isn't so...
I agree on the speed factor, a friend bought a .54 T/C Sumthinoranother and knew all about muzzel loaders.. couldn't tell him a thing..After blowing right thru 4 deer tracking each for many hours, and recovering none. he was going to switch to sabots.I told him he should quit ,as he had already killed twice his limit.He wouldn't quit .So I asked him what he was shooting. 150 gr 3f & round ball.. I told him to try 90gr.&round ball. result 2 deer same evening recovered , no exit wound.All available energy spent on target....it's the same story every time I teach a New guy..

I make mine by taking a .495 round ball running it through a die to cut it down to .440.
I assume cut it down means swaging. Just curious if the force required to swage down by .055 flattens the top of a pure lead ball? Also, do you use a lubricant?

I really like the idea and may turn a punch and die to make banded hollow points with my .600 to .735 wheel weight lead RBs. I use wheel weights a lot for practice (and hogs) in both MLs and unmentionables, because I still have a supply that was collected over 50 years ago.

Wonder how a hollow point round ball would fly when the ball is loaded a bit cockeyed and the hollow is off to one side 🤔

I assume cut it down means swaging. Just curious if the force required to swage down by .055 flattens the top of a pure lead ball? Also, do you use a lubricant?

The nose of a bullet/ball has almost no effect on the projectile's accuracy. As long as the base is good accuracy will still be the same.

I really like the idea and may turn a punch and die to make banded hollow points with my .600 to .735 wheel weight lead RBs. I use wheel weights a lot for practice (and hogs) in both MLs and unmentionables, because I still have a supply that was collected over 50 years ago.
I actually cut them with a die I made using a radiused "push rod" so the tip remains round except for the hollow point. I used to be a tool and die maker so making a die was simple.I cut them using a small abor press so the force is not a problem. Swagging them would require a lot of force . They really make a difference at stake shoots.

I was at the range shooting today, and was approached by an admirer of my SMR. I ws talking to him while reloading, and new better. I dry-balled, but saved face showing him how to pull a ball using my range rod. It got me to thinking about the hole in the ball caused by the screw. Could I use it for a hollow point?!:rolleyes:
I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. He said "no, better not. You know how things go sometime if you like it".
You definitely could, but don’t expect much in the way of accuracy beyond 20-ish yards.

I agree on the speed factor, a friend bought a .54 T/C Sumthinoranother and knew all about muzzel loaders.. couldn't tell him a thing..After blowing right thru 4 deer tracking each for many hours, and recovering none. he was going to switch to sabots.I told him he should quit ,as he had already killed twice his limit.He wouldn't quit .So I asked him what he was shooting. 150 gr 3f & round ball.. I told him to try 90gr.&round ball. result 2 deer same evening recovered , no exit wound.All available energy spent on target....it's the same story every time I teach a New guy..

And then they complain about fouling!!! Decrease your powder and you decrease the fouling...I started with 125grs FF in my .54, years ago I went to 80grs FFF and frankly have thought of dropping down to 70grs...

Back