• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holey balls, batman!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I did shine a bright LED down there and could see something round-ish with a small hole off center.
Does the hole look something like this?
1628563585020.jpeg

Last edited:
Would love to see a photograph of your unique TCs. Here is a photograph of a TC breech plug I pulled. The same as others I have pulled. Based on my L. S. Starrett scale the plug extends about an inch in front of the nipple. Please post a photograph of what you are talking about. View attachment 89082

FjVFrCx.jpg

Here's a cut-away of a TC breech plug. I guess it's called a patent breech plug (don't know why).

If mine is like that one, which they all supposedly are, the ramrod won't fit into that cup shaped orifice - which would put it about an inch ahead of the nipple.

And yes, when I look down the barrel I could very possibly be seeing what you've shown. When shining a light through the nipple orifice I couldn't see it in the barrel so assumed the passage was blocked. We know the liability of assumptions.

I'll determine if what's pictured is what I have and get back to you.

Now that I'd seen the cross section of the breech plug, when I shine a light through the nipple hole, I see light rings in the breech. By all indications I cried "WOLF!" when the coast was clear. But I have learned something and possibly others can learn from this as well. Sorry for the false alarm, but it did end well and in fewer than seven pages. :ghostly:

FjVFrCx.jpg

Here's a cut-away of a TC breech plug. I guess it's called a patent breech plug (don't know why).

If mine is like that one, which they all supposedly are, the ramrod won't fit into that cup shaped orifice - which would put it about an inch ahead of the nipple.

And yes, when I look down the barrel I could very possibly be seeing what you've shown. When shining a light through the nipple orifice I couldn't see it in the barrel so assumed the passage was blocked. We know the liability of assumptions.

I'll determine if what's pictured is what I have and get back to you.
That cutaway is what your breech should look like. If you are worried that your eyes are deceiving you, do you have a 1/4” or 5/16” diameter dowel or rod you can use to check the bore is clear to the breech? Also curious to see what Stan the man comes back with.

I read the first couple of posts on this thread at work and first thought was , Yeh that's about right for an empty T/C. Rod stops about 1 inch from the nipple or flash hole.
If you took a inch as a fully loaded rifle there is 1/2 an inch in the ball alone and not very much powder behind it. Very unlikely it was loaded.

Would love to see a photograph of your unique TCs. Here is a photograph of a TC breech plug I pulled. The same as others I have pulled. Based on my L. S. Starrett scale the plug extends about an inch in front of the nipple. Please post a photograph of what you are talking about. View attachment 89082
Just trying to help out Guy, relax

I've been wrong before but I appreciate the effort with your photos and repeated comments directed at me

Last edited:
Another member contacted me via PM with his thought that the breech plug on the TC Hawken could be about an inch ahead of the nipple. Is this a possibility?

Perhaps I've gotten all worked up over nothing?

Would anyone be so kind as to plumb the depth of the breech from the nipple for me? Perhaps this all is a non-issue.

That sounds very logical, and something I was considering.

First I'd better find out if there is, or isn't, anything down there.
Just a thought have you tried either air compressor or some way to put air through nipple and point in safe direction at maybe piece of paper or leaf to see if it moves or something I came in the middle probably missed something

A $50 borescope is worth it's weight in gold when buying any type of used long guns. Look before you buy. If the seller refuses the inspection, pass on the purchase. Exception being buying remotely online. I learned by experience!

I agree, and actually they can be even less expensive. Just be sure you get it small enough. Look on eBay.

LD

I saw this thread last night, and wanted to wait until I could post a couple of pictures. I see that @Idaholewis and @SDSmlf were thinking the same thing I was.

Not to beat a dead horse, but here is a photo of a T/C type breechplug, courtesy of Track of the Wolf:

TC Breech 3.jpg

I also stuck a half-inch rod down the bore of a T/C Renegade barrel I have on hand. This photo shows the point at which the rod bottomed out:

TC Breech 2.JPG

Is that about the point where your rod bottomed out, @Dude ?

As shown in posts #21 and 22, the T/C patent breech is counterbored to form a small chamber or "powder well," which is probably what Dude was seeing when he shone the light down there.

One final thought is you can try what the reenactors do to ensure their muskets are unloaded, which is to "ping" your barrel. Take a metal rod and just drop it in the bore from just a couple of inches above the breech face. If it hits steel (meaning the breechplug), it will give a metallic "ping." If the metal rod hits a lead ball, you'll just get a thud.

Be safe!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Buy a Thill nite Brite LED bobber battery light, made for fishing bobbers these tiny battery powered lights slide down your ml barell and light up the entire breech and clearly show everything from the flash hole forward. I use one routinely to check after I clean. They will fit any barrel from .32 up

Back